CHURCH OF ST ETHELREDA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1067072

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ETHELREDA, COTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ETHELREDA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067072 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 19:20:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ETHELREDA, COTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Guilsborough

National Grid Reference: SP 67606 72681

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP76SE GUILSBOROUGH COTON ROAD

3/157 Church of St. Ethelreda 02/11/54 - II*

Church, C14, C17 and C19. Random coursed lias and limestone with ashlar dressings, and lead roof. Aisled nave. Chancel and west tower. Chancel, south elevation 2-window range of two 2-light square headed windows, north elevation similar. East window, 3-light with reticulated tracery shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet. South aisle, 2-window range of 3-light square-headed windows with similar east and west windows. Porch between windows with 4-centred arched doorway probably C19. Ribbed and studded door. North aisle similar with north porch, both with ashlar parapets. The windows generally have been restored C19. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of single-light windows with flat arch heads possibly from C17 restoration. Shallow-pitched roof with ashlar parapet. West tower of 3 stages with angle 3-stage buttresses in first 2 stages. Double lancet C14 bell chamber openings on each face of third stage. Broach spire dated 1618 of limestone ashlar 2 stages of lucarnes on each facade. Interior: Ribbed and boarded ceiling to chancel with carved bosses. Hollow double chamfered chancel arch with fleurons in the capitals. 4 bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches supported on octagonal piers, carved animal heads at the spanning of each arch. North clerestory windows have quadripartite glazing bars. C19 king-post roof retaining the tie beams of an earlier roof with carved bosses and corbels representing the 7 Ages of Man. Stained glass: All chancel windows by Morris and Burne-Jones. South aisle east and south-east window by Morris and Co and north aisle east window by Burlison and Grylls 1894. Reredos and panelling to chancel, gothic motifs of 1846. Pews 1815, some box pews in north aisle. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire 1973 p.243).

Listing NGR: SP6760672681

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360146

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 243

End of official listing