This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

List entry Number: 1067123

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, MANEY HILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Birmingham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 473088

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 19 NW SUTTON COLDFIELD MANEY HILL ROAD,

2/10017 Church of St Peter

GV II

Church. The principal part of the church 1905 and so dated on the foundation stone; the western most twenty feet of the nave and aisles, and the tower, added in 1935; designed by Cossins, Peacock and Bewley and built by Thomas Elvins. Red brick with dressings of buff terracotta, roof of slate. Chancel, nave, north and south transepts, north and south aisles, south-west tower, north-east vestries and south-cast organ chamber. The sanctuary is in the form of a five-sided apse under a lower roof than the choir with a window in each of the 'chamfered' walls and embattled parapet decorated with chequerwork in brick and buff terracotta; the cast window is in the gable to the choir; two windows to north of choir. All chancel windows are pointed-arched with hollow chamfers to the brick reveals, two lights (except for the cast window which is of five), and rectilinear tracery under hoodmoulds having foliage stops. The transepts have angle and centre buttresses with moulded terracotta offsets, and two pointed-arched windows with rectilinear tracery and hoodmoulds. The aisles are of two-and-a-half bays, divided by buttresses, with segmental-arched windows with rectilinear tracery, two of three lights and one lancet; the clerestory has seven flat-arched windows, six of two lights with alternating patters of tracery, and one of one light; entrance in westernmost bay of north aisle, under a segmental pointed arch with chamfered reveals, multi-moulded archivolt, hoodmould, foliage stops and a panelled door with ornate wrought-iron hinges. The west end has three flat-arched windows, the middle one of two lights, and above that a rose window with tracery in the form of a cross and sexfoiled circles; the windows are linked by a pattern of tiles set on edge which runs up into the gable. West entrance set slightly forward under the tower with a deep portal having multi-ordered archivolt within a pattern of decorative brickwork; the tower itself is of three stages with setback buttresses except for the polygonal stair tower on the south-west corner; belfry stage with louvres under geometrical tracery in a pointed-arched opening; parapet with an open, arcaded balustraded at the centre of each side. To the south of the tower is a church hall of recent date which is not of special architectural interest. INTERIOR: The sanctuary is divided from the choir by a broad, elaborately moulded pointed arch, like a chancel arch, which is the most striking feature of the interior. Marble reredos in a late Gothic manner, panelling embellished with brattishing to the sanctuary and north side of the choir, and an organ case in a late Gothic manner to the south side of the choir; choir stalls possibly of a date with the church; multi-ordered chancel arch of brick; nave arcade of four-and-a-half bays: the stone columns are octagonal but with two broad faces, and they die into the pointed arches without capitals: the impost is of stone, the arcade above that of red brick with a cornice at clerestory level; lesenes of stone, and then brick, run up from the inner faces of the arcade to corbels for alternate roof trusses; two-bay transepts to north and south, that to the north having a small chapel on its east side with an elaborate late Gothic reredos of 1932 fined with a triptych painting of the Resurrection by Sidney Meteyard, the ceiling decorated with stencilling and gilded plasterwork; north and south vestibules at the west end, the west window is set in a slight recess, whose face is decorated with patterns of brick and tiles set on edge; nave roof of hammer-beam trusses; fine stained glass in the sanctuary, over the sanctuary arch and in the west rose window; below the west window are four lights filled with glass of 1932 probably by Sidney Meteyard.





Listing NGR: SP1191695232

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 11916 95232

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067123 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 04:26:58.

End of official listing