PRYSTEN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1067152

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: PRYSTEN HOUSE, ABBEY PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRYSTEN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 17:51:37.

Location

Statutory Address: PRYSTEN HOUSE, ABBEY PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SX4791854361

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4754 ABBEY PLACE, Plymouth 740-1/57/349 (North West side) 25/01/54 Prysten House (Formerly Listed as: FINEWELL STREET, Plymouth Prysten House)

GV I

Large merchant's house. c1498, extended 1635, built for Thomas Yogge who died in 1509 (Pevsner), rear truncated when Abbey Hall was built and some 1920s restoration. Plymouth limestone rubble with granite dressings to openings; dry slate roofs, coped to right of taller roof at the front; lateral rubble stack to lower roof at front left which is hipped on the corner and another lateral rubble stack to left-hand return towards rear. PLAN: U-shaped plan overall, the ranges of single depth and with gallery facing into the rear courtyard, the left-hand front room containing a well. 1st floor as the principal floor; wide through-passage to ground floor. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; slightly asymmetrical 3-bay front plus slightly projecting wing on the left. Mostly original windows with ogee-headed lights and hoodmoulds to front, some C17 windows, some C20 copies of C17 windows and some windows resited or reset. Front has 3-storey splayed central bay with original very fine 4-light transomed window plus sidelights under a moulded cornice to 1st floor; original 2-light window with hoodmould above plus sidelights to splays; similar original single light windows to flanking bays, a ventilator slit to left and 2 original single-light windows to 2nd-floor left and right of wing. Central 4-centred arched moulded doorway of 2 orders with squat quatrefoil to tympanum and 4-centred hoodmould above. Original relieving arches above C17 chamfered single-light windows to 1st-floor left and right. 3 original relieving arches to ground floor: to right of wing over small 3-centred arched moulded doorway with carved spandrels; left of main doorway over a squat C17 single light and right over a C20 2-light window to enlarged opening. Left-hand return is a slightly irregular 5-window range with original slit windows, otherwise C17 or C20 windows: round-headed ventilator slits to left-hand bay; 3 original relieving arches over windows to 1st floor centre and left of centre and slit windows to 2nd-floor centre and right. Most windows with leaded glass. Right-hand return is 4-window range with gable end of front range on the left and porch on the right. Mostly original openings, the windows with ogee-headed lights including 3-light window to 2nd floor on left and 2-light window below left of 4-centred arched doorway with square hoodmould. Porch has similar doorway and date 1635 and eroded coat of arms above. Rear elevations have similar openings to other elevations. There is a 1st floor gallery supported on oak corbels with carved ends, most of which are restored. To ground floor on either side at rear of the courtyard is a 2-bay arcade with moulded 4-centred arches. Courtyard front of wing has restored doorway and windows with ogee-headed lights, also 4 very small windows. INTERIOR: oak raised cruck roof structure with chamfered principals, mortices, collars and trenched purlins. Frater room has moulded beams and joists. There are 3 stone newel stairs, granite fireplaces some with corbels, the kitchen fireplace very large and the Frater fireplace with cusped centre. An excellent example of a large late medieval merchant's house, typically built to a courtyard plan. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 661; Power WJ: A Layman's View of Some Plymouth Churches: 1977-: 27).







Listing NGR: SX4791854361

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473152

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989)
Power, W J , A Laymans View of Some Plymouth Churches, (1977), 27

End of official listing