7, 9 and 11, Millgate

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067168
Date first listed:
05-May-1988
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Nov-2011
Location Description:
Nos. 7-11, Millgate, Stockport, Greater Manchester
Statutory Address:
7-11, Millgate, Stockport, SK1 2LX

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7, 9 and 11, Millgate
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 02:12:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
7-11, Millgate, Stockport, SK1 2LX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Nos. 7-11, Millgate, Stockport, Greater Manchester
District:
Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ8973290545

Summary

Former hotel and attached house of c.1840, now converted to flats.

Reasons for Designation

The two buildings numbered 7, 9 and 11 Millgate, Stockport, built c 1840, are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural Interest: as representative examples of mid-C19 urban architecture in Stockport * Group Value: facing the parish church of St Mary (Grade I) and church gateway (Grade II*), and adjacent to Stockport Market, which has an 1861 Market Hall (Grade II) and various listed surrounding properties of similar or earlier dates

History

Both buildings were shown on the 1851 Ordnance Survey map, surveyed 1849, with the larger, left-hand property identified as 'The Golden Ball and Florist Hotel'. When first listed in 1988 the properties were derelict. At this time No. 5 (now Nos. 9 and 11) had a later wooden shop front with pilasters and door with overlight on left of plain window. Subsequent refurbishment has reinstated a ground-floor window and the windows to both properties have been given appropriate multi-pane sashes to replace the blockings and casement windows present in 1988.

Details

Former hotel and attached house. c.1840. red brick in Flemish bond, Welsh slate roof. Three-storey, three-bay hotel (No. 7) on left of lower, three-storey, one-bay house (Nos. 9 and 11).

EXTERIOR: No. 7 has a central round-headed doorway with stone imposts and a six-panelled door in a moulded frame under a multi-pane fanlight. To each side of the doorway is a bricked-up cellar window beneath ground-floor windows with projecting stone sills and gauged brick cambered arches. The first floor has similar windows in bays one and three and a central blind window. The second floor has three shorter windows. All the windows have reproduction multi-pane hung sashes. Ogee guttering and gable stacks. Nos. 9 and 11 have a basket-arched doorway with six-panelled door to the left of a centrally positioned window. Similar window on the first floor and a shorter window on the second floor. Reproduction multi-pane hung sashes. The north-east gable wall has been rebuilt with a projecting single-storey canted porch (not of special interest). Ogee guttering and gable stack.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

The properties Nos. 14 and 16 to the rear of No. 7 Millgate, are a modern extension and are not of special interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210895
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01782/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Trillo. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].