HOULDSWORTH MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1067171
Date first listed:
10-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
HOULDSWORTH MILL, HOULDSWORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOULDSWORTH MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:38:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOULDSWORTH MILL, HOULDSWORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Stockport (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 89073 93324

Details

SJ8993 HOULDSWORTH STREET, Reddish 701-0/13/102 (West Side) 10/03/75 Houldsworth Mill

GV II*

Cotton spinning mill. 1865 with early C20 additions. By AH Stott of Oldham. For Henry Houldsworth. Red brick, slate roofs. A symmetrical double mill, two 4-storey blocks of 18 bays separated by the narrower 5-storey 9-bay central block with large clock and date plaque on parapet and flanking stair towers. Single-storey ranges front the spinning mills. In a flamboyant Italianate style with pilasters rising between windows, the top storey windows round-arched and towers having key-pattern brickwork, deep bracketed eaves, pyramid roofs. The mills are approximately 12 bays deep; tall octagonal stack with corbelled crown and original engine house to rear, centre. INTERIOR: fireproof construction composed of transverse brick vaults supported by cast-iron columns and beams. The central block housed warehouse, offices and main entrance; the flanking spinning mills housed preparation on ground floor and long spinning mules above, a total of 130,000 spindles in rooms 35m wide. Powered processes also in the attic storeys, lit by full-length glass panels in the mansard roof, probably early C20. The original engine house had horizontal shafts driving the main upright shafts in the end towers. The spinning blocks were re-equipped C20, when new engine houses were built for separate inverted-compound engines and external rope races replaced the upright shafts. Other C20 additions include enclosed staircase at S end, covered loading shaft on N end, 5-storey block attached to NW. HISTORY: Henry Houldsworth was a spinner in Little Lever Street, Manchester who installed a steam engine in 1796. He moved to Glasgow in partnership with his brothers and by 1816 the firm employed 622 people, (Fit ton, p.148) .The builder of this mill was the nephew of the founder of the firm. An outstanding example of a mill designed as the centrepiece of a model community; the quality of composition, reflecting the different uses of the complex, show that the architectural form was of primary significance. The firm of Abraham, Stott was one of the most important mill designers of the period. (Fit ton RS: The Arkwrights, Spinners of Fortune: Manchester: 1989-: 148)



Listing NGR: SJ8907393324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210821
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fitton, R S , The Arkwrights Spinners of Fortune, (1989), 148

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/15236/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hyde. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].