HOULDSWORTH WORKING MENS CLUB
List Entry Summary
Name: HOULDSWORTH WORKING MENS CLUB
List entry Number: 1067173
Leamington Road, Stockport, SK5 6BD
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: Metropolitan Authority
Parish: Non Civil Parish
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 30-Oct-1973
Date of most recent amendment: 07-Nov-2011
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
List entry Description
Summary of Building
A working men's club of 1874 by A H Stott of Oldham.
Reasons for Designation
* Architect: designed by Abraham Henthorn Stott, one of the most important mill designers of the period who designed the nearby Houldsworth Mill (Grade II*), a cotton spinning mill, in 1865, and was also likely to have been responsible for the model estate of terraced houses for the workforce; * Historic Interest: forming part of the model community developed by the late-C19 industrialist Sir William Houldsworth, which included cotton mills, workers' housing, school, church, and a park; * Group Value: having group value with the adjacent St Elisabeth's Church (qv), Rectory (qv), and Houldsworth School (qv) and associated walls (qv), designed by Alfred Waterhouse for Sir William Houldsworth.
Reddish lies immediately west of Stockport and the River Tame. It is site of a model community developed by the late C19 industrialist Sir William Houldsworth. Houldsworth Mill (Grade II*), a cotton spinning mill, was designed in 1865 by Abraham Henthorn Stott of Oldham, one of the most important mill designers of the period. Stott is thought to have designed the model estate of terraced houses for the workforce adjacent to the mill too. In 1874 Stott also designed the Houldsworth Working Men's Club. In the same year Houldsworth employed Alfred Waterhouse to design Houldsworth School (Grade II*), and he subsequently designed St Elisabeth's Church (Grade I) and rectory (Grade II*) of 1882-3.
Working men's club of 1874 by Abraham Henthorn Stott of Oldham.
MATERIALS: Red brick with stone dressings and wide alternating bands of slate and red tiles to the roofs.
PLAN: The building has two storeys and an attic and is u-shaped with two rear wings, that to the right (E) wider. There are modern extensions to the rear.
EXTERIOR: the elevations are irregular in a Gothic style. The main, south-facing elevation is of eight bays with a steep roof with three dormer windows and a gable to the wider bay seven. There are round-arched windows on the first floor and mullion and transom windows on the ground floor. Bay five has a single-storey porch with pitched roof and at the right hand end is a gable over a large, pointed-arch tracery window with a wider mullion and transom window below. The west, side elevation has a two-storey bay window with a conical roof at the south end.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
National Grid Reference: SJ8930493459
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067173 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2018 at 09:35:03.
End of official listing