BRANDLESHOLME OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1067287
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
BRANDLESHOLME OLD HALL, BRANDLESHOLME ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRANDLESHOLME OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067287 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 09:58:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRANDLESHOLME OLD HALL, BRANDLESHOLME ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bury (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD7876013175

Details

SD 71 SE BRANDLESHOLME ROAD 5/2

Brandlesholme Old Hall

II*

Originally an open-hall cruck-framed house, originating in C13, altered and extended in C16. Remodelled 1849. Front of two unequal advanced 2-storeyed gables with porch between. Rendered. Wide plain C19 barge-boards, rounded at bases. Moulded oriel window of C19 to each gable (but upper one on left gable is plain horizontal window). Behind and to left, at right-angles to gable wings, is the tall l½-storey range with steep slate roof which contains the medieval hall, with wide, well-formed upper cruck frame, ceiled with joists on heavy cross-beams in C16 or C17. South front originally "black-and-white" C16 range kitchen, parlour, etc, was rebuilt in gabled style in 1849, became Brandlesholme Hall and is not included. In time of Henry I it was residence of bailiff to Montbegon and later de Lacey lands whose name was Brandlesholme. By marriage, house descended to Greenhalghs who remained for 11 generations till 1730s. John Greenhalgh was made Governor of Isle of Man by Early of Derby in 1640, fought with distinction at Worcester and died of wounds same year.

Listing NGR: SD7876013175

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210598
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02783/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].