CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1067326

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 13:16:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Horwich

National Grid Reference: SD 64442 11538

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 61 SW, 3/24

HORWICH, CHURCH STREET (north side), Church of Holy Trinity

24/11/66

G.V.

II

Church. 1830-1831. By F. Bedford. Chancel, 1903, by R. Knill Freeman. Stone with slate roof. 4-bay nave continued as porches flanking west tower; chancel with south organ loft. Nave has Y-tracery windows between buttresses and crocked pinnacles; cornice and parapet. Porches have north and south entrances below windows, with label moulds. Tower has octagonal turrets becoming angle buttresses above roof level. Two raised bands with cusping below. 4-centred entrance with tracery band over and blind lancet above. Kneeling camel crest of Ridgway family, 4-face clock and Y- tracery louvred bell openings. Open-traceried embattled parapet. Flanking porches have stepped lancets, the innermost the tallest. Ornate iron railings to basement access. Chancel is shallow, with 4-light traceried window over three panels of memorial slabs, the earliest dated 1952. Organ loft has 3-light double-chamfered-mullioned window and entrance. Two stones against south side of nave bear Ridgway arms and crest, possibly from original east end.

INTERIOR: nave has chamfered diagonal piers supporting 3 galleries and plaster rib vaults. Monument to Joseph Ridgway died 1842, by R. Westmacott, free standing monument with robed woman kneeling at prie dieu. Other memorials and hatchments. South aisle stained glass window of 1874. Chancel east window of 1927 but earlier decorative glass and Ridgway arms in tracery head. Reredos with cresting and canopy, 1923. At west end of nave an original box pew. In gallery is board recording payments to church officials in 1854 and pumping handle to organ. The church was financed largely by the Ridgway family.

Listing NGR: SD6444211538

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 210505

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing