CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1067498
Date first listed:
24-Feb-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 01:58:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Salford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ7789698684

Details

1481/4/2 09-MAY-03

ECCLES CHURCH STREET (East side) CHURCH OF ST MARY

GV I

Church. Although there has been a church on this site since the Norman period, the earliest parts of the current structure, at the west end of the north aisle and base of the tower, are C13; little remains of the C14 church either, except the south transept arch, because it was much enlarged in the C15 when first the south aisle, and then the nave and north aisle, were widened and rebuilt; the chancel was reconstructed early in the C16, but then rebuilt again in 1862 by J P Holden; the south porch was replaced in 1923. Red ashlar sandstone with slate and lead roofs. Nave and aisles with south transept (originally a chantry chapel)south porch and west tower; chancel with side chapels and vestries. 4-bay nave and aisles with weathered plinth, weathered buttresses and castellated parapets. Gabled porch in bay 1 and gabled transept in bay 4, otherwise the aisle has 4-light windows with Perpendicular tracery (5-light on north aisle) and tall 5-light clerestory windows. The chancel was completely remodelled in 1862-3 being given a 4-bay clerestory. It has a 5-light east window, a lean-to roof to the south chapel, a pitched roof to the north chapel and raked castellations to the gable which has a cross finial and corner pinnacles. The castellated 3-stage tower has weathered diagonal buttresses, a west door, clock faces, a 3-light west window, 3-light belfry openings and crocketed corner pinnacles. INTERIOR: double-chamfered nave arcade on columns with chamfered projections and thin hollows in the diagonals. Plain capitals have elementary shields. The north columns each have carved niches let into one side. Fine C15 roof structure with carved bosses at the intersections of moulded beams. Double-chamfered ovolo-moulded transept arch with similarly moulded responds. Medieval studded oak door. Fittings include a heavily restored pulpit which nevertheless contains some early carving, pews, stalls, a C15 stone font and an alabaster reredos with mosaic panels of 1883. Stained glass, one window incorporating C16 Flemish glass (NAW); Lavers & Barraud, 1860s (NchE). Monument: recumbent stone effigies of Richard Brereton, wife and child on chest tomb with square angle balusters of c.1600. Anglo Saxon cross shaft, C15 lantern cross and other early remnants. A fine parish church with much medieval work including the C15 coffered nave roof.

Listing NGR: SJ7789698684

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
211935
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].