MONTON UNITARIAN CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1067501

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1979

Statutory Address: MONTON UNITARIAN CHURCH, MONTON GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONTON UNITARIAN CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 06:53:43.

Location

Statutory Address: MONTON UNITARIAN CHURCH, MONTON GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Salford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 76504 99638

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ECCLES MONTON GREEN SJ 79 NE (north side) 4/10 Monton 9/7/79 Unitarian Church G.V. II* Church. 1873-75. By Thomas Worthington. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Cruciform plan with aisles, apsidal chancel and south-west tower which stands outside the aisle. Gothic Revival. 5-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth, weathered buttresses, paired cusped lancet aisle windows and two 2-light Geometrical tracery clerestory windows in each bay. Coped parapet to aisle. 4- light windows to transepts which have diagonal buttresses. 5-light west window above west entrance. An octagonal stair turret at the west end of the north aisle gives access to the organ loft. Impressive 3-stage tower with angled buttresses, south entrance, cusped lancet windows, paired 2- light belfry openings with transoms and a broach spire with lucarnes which is set behind a coped parapet. The polygonal apse has 2-light windows and weathered buttresses and has vestrys to north and south. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade on circular columns. Hammer-beam roof trusses with tie rods and curved wind-bracing. Good carved timberwork throughout including canopied stalls, pulpit, pews, reredos, panelling and organ loft (by Foster and Andrews of Hull, 1883). Good stained glass largely by Heaton Butler and Bayne. Minton floor tiles. The original elaborate iron light standards and other fittings are a particularly noteworthy survival. Generally an imposing design which exhibits many of the Architect's individual qualities.

Listing NGR: SJ7650499638

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 211943

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing