This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

QUEENS ARMS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: QUEENS ARMS

List entry Number: 1067506

Location

QUEENS ARMS, GREEN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Salford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 211953

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 79 NE, 4/101

ECCLES, GREEN LANE, PATRICROFT, Queen's Arms

II

Public house. 1828 with early C20 alterations- Brick with Welsh slate roof L-shaped plan, with three bars (two to front range, one to rear wing), two storeys, three window range: horned sash windows throughout except to canted bay to right of entrance which has Edwardian etched glass window. Round-headed doorway. Right-hand gable with heavy bargeboarding; irregularly-placed sash windows. INTERIOR: Plan form retains separate bar areas. Entrance lobby gives access to vault to left, which retains panelled bar counter with screened servery to lobby end. Beyond lobby hall passage gives access to smoke room to right, with baffle screens to ends of fixed bench seating adjacent to doorway. Fireplace with Art Nouveau style surround with substantial overmantle mirror. Beyond smoke room, cross passage gives access to central lounge with fixed bench seating and canted bay window and to the right, to the billiard room, with opening above bench seating to permit viewing from the lounge bar. Half-glazed panelled doors with etched glass survive in bar doorways.

The building was built in 1828 to coincide with the opening of the Liverpool-Manchester Railway, and catered for excursion traffic from Manchester. It also served Nasmyth's engineering factory (now demolished but formerly situated immediately N). As such it may be considered the first railway pub in the world, its special interest enhanced by a little-altered interior layout.

This building was listed on 9 March 1989 by the 2nd amendment to the 15th list.



Listing NGR: SJ7630398755

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 76303 98755

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067506 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:19:56.

End of official listing