Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of COTTAGES NOS 1-4 (CONSECUTIVE) AND HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067831 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 21:47:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

City of Derby (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 35365 38637, SK 35466 38582, SK 35484 38560


893/0/10104 OLD LANE 30-MAY-02 Darley Abbey 1-4 Cottages Nos 1-4 (consecutive) and House (Formerly listed as: OLD LANE Darley Abbey 1-5 Cottages) (Formerly listed as: OLD LANE Darley Abbey Darley Abbey Mills (East Mill, Middle Mill, West Mill, Finishing House, Enqu iry Office, Toll House, Cottages and O ther Buildings) GV II

A group of two storey brick built, slate roofed cottages and a three storey house within the boundaries of the mill yard dating from late-C18 to Mid-C19 much altered C20. Nos 1-3 form a terrace at the eastern gateway to the complex. The HOUSE is detached in the north yard of the site. Built by the Evans family. NO 1. is a tall, two bay, little altered mid C19 cottage with original sash windows and contemporary rear outbuildings. It appears on a 1852 map. NOS 2 & 3. are rendered and painted and were formerly single bay cottages. They were built by 1826. No 4 is roughly square in plan and may formerly have been two (or even four) single bay dwellings but now one house. It has timber sash windows below shallow brick lintels. Probably dates to 1792 and is shown on an 1811 map. HOUSE. 3 bay, 3 storey brick built and slated dwelling with a delicately concave front and convex rear. Latterly used as an office and store and much altered. South-western front overlooks approach to mill and it is shown on a map of 1811. These buildings are included for group value only.

This complex of structures forms part of the textile manufacturing site at Darley Abbey which traded under the name of Boars Head Mills. The complex as an entity is exceptional in its completeness of survival, and displays important aspects of the development of fire-proofing technology for textile factories. The site forms part of the closely related network of pioneer textile manufacturing sites in the Derwent Valley; Thomas Evans was an associate of Richard Arkwright of Cromford and the Evans family was related by marriage to the Strutt family who had mills in Belper, Milford and Derby. Darley Abbey sits alongside these settlements in terms of both historic and architectural significance, the mill complex retains all of its major early buildings as well as the C19 additions many of which are distinguished by the use of iron roofs. Ref. English Heritage Architectural Investigation Report NBR 33050


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].