Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of KELD CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:22:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Eden (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 55366 14513



1254/0/10009 Keld Chapel 08-OCT-02


Chapel. Late C16, used as a dwelling between late C17 and C19, repaired and restored to use as a place of worship early C20. Coursed rubble limestone with limestone dressings , single ridge chimney and a Westmorland slate roof covering, laid to diminishing courses. PLAN: Simple 2-cell plan, the result of domestic conversion, and aligned north-east / south-west . EXTERIOR: North-east gable with 3 light window, the lights with elliptically-arched heads below a re-set label mould. North-west elevation with 2 flat-headed windows and a doorway, all within irregularly-quoined surrounds, the windows of one and 2 lights, the doorway with chamfered jambs and a later lintel. South-east elevation with 2 windows similar to those to the north-west wall, and a blocked c.1700 window. INTERIOR: Simply-furnished interior subdivided by a cross wall with inserted domestic hearth with stepped jambs and irregular, narrow lintel. Inserted recess to left. Unplastered stonework and exposed rafters and purlins. HISTORY: The first documentary reference to Keld Chapel is a christening in 1672. In the late C17, the building ceased to be used as a place of worship and was converted into a dwelling. The building was repaired in 1897 and became the property of the National Trust in the early C20. The building stands within a small churchyard bounded by an enclosure wall, which, together with the ground below the chapel is a Scheduled Ancient Monument ( No. 34988. )


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].