CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067863
Date first listed:
09-May-1973
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, IVY HOUSE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2021 at 04:39:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, IVY HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Berkhamsted
National Grid Reference:
TL 00166 07704

Details



814/8/102 IVY HOUSE LANE 09-MAY-1973 SUNNYSIDE CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

II 1908-9 by P B Johnston MATERIALS: Flint facing to concrete walls with an inner brick skin; Totternhoe stone for internal dressings; Monk's Park (Bath) and Tisbury stone used for some external dressings on some internal work. Brown clay tiled roofs, boarded and shingled bell-turret.

PLAN: Nave, S aisle and porch, chancel and vestry. Parish rooms of the c.1980s have been attached to the N side of the building.

EXTERIOR: The style is plain work of the C13. The principal elevation is that on the S which is dominated by a large catslide roofing covering both nave and aisle. The chancel is separately articulated under a lower roof than the nave. Near the W end is a timber porch on low side walls. A bell-turret straddles the ridge of the nave roof near the W end and has boarded side and a shingled chamfer spire. The aisle wall is low, unbuttressed and contains grouped lancets of two and three lights. The chancel S wall has three taller, single lancets. In the E wall there are three graded lancets and in the wall a pair of equal-height lancets and a foiled circular window in the gable.

INTERIOR: The interior is plastered and painted white including what would originally have been bare stonework features such as the arcade piers. The chancel arch is chamfered and rises from moulded corbels. Between the nave and S aisle there stands a four-bay arcade with standard C13 details of double-chamfered arches on circular piers with moulded capitals. Over the roof is an A-frame roof with ashlar pieces, a collar, and three large tie-beams. The westernmost beam supports arched braces for the bellcote. The aisle roof has ashlar pieces and a curved strut between the back of the arcade and the rafters. In the chancel the roof is arch-braced with horizontal boarding between the rafters. At the E end the triple-light window has mouldings and shafts.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The encaustic tiles in the chancel are the work of W Godwin and Son of Lugwardine, Herefordshire. In the chancel there is a low double sedilia with a marble shaft and trefoiled heads: the piscina is similarly treated. The font is a conventional octagonal piece. Some C19 benches survive with shouldered ends and open backs. Much of the seating dates from the 1960s to the 1980s. The nave and aisle are floored with wooden blocks.

HISTORY: This was a new church on a new site given by Earl Brownlow. It replaced a small iron chapel-of-ease to the mother church of Northchurch some miles away, since Sunnyside, although an extension of the old town of Berkhamsted was part of Northchurch ecclesiastically. The new church was erected out of funds subscribed locally, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Church Building Society, with the chancel and its fittings being given by Sir Richard Cooper, Bart, in memory of his late brother Herbert. The treasurer of the building fund, George K. Hext, paid for the bell-turret. The foundation stone was laid on July 25 1908 and the consecration took place on June 30 the following year. In all the cost was between £3000 and £4000 and the completed church could accommodate over 300 people. The architect, Philip Mainwaring Johnston (1865-1936), was based in London. He was articled to John Belcher in 1881-6 after which he set up in independent practice.

SOURCES: Notes made available by Jenny Sherwood, chair of the Berkhamsted Local History Society. Antonia Brodie et al., Directory of British Architects 1834-1914, vol 2, 2001, p.1030-1.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Michael and All Angels, Berkhamsted, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is an attractive building in a C13 Gothic style drawing upon the local traditions in church architecture

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355485
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00439/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Susan Hall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].