CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1067868
Date first listed:
05-Mar-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, MANCHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 03:20:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, MANCHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Carrington
National Grid Reference:
SJ 72795 92666

Details

CARRINGTON

1482/4/3 MANCHESTER ROAD 05-MAR-59 (South side) CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

II* Church, originally a chapel of ease. 1757-9, with minor later alterations. By Isaac Shaw. Flemish bond brick with graduated stone slate roof. 4 x 2 bays with west gallery and small chancel. Each bay has a round-arched window with impost blocks, keystone and leaded lights. All the windows except for that to E retain their original oak frames and their original glazing in the upper halves of the lights. The elliptical-arched door has a rusticated stone surround and the original oak-boarded entrance doors retain their iron strap hinges. 2 west windows blocked when gallery inserted in 1829. The chancel has a Venetian window and a hipped roof. A small turret with cupola on the west end was removed in 1987. INTERIOR: Nearly all of the original box pews survive, complete with painted numerals and four brass owner's plates, two dated 1759. The coved ceiling has a plasterwork central rose consisting of radiating rococo fronds. Font based on a marble wash bowl. Original communion rails and dado panelling to the chancel. West gallery added in 1829 is carried on two slender iron columns and retains its original seating. The two west windows were blocked as part of this alteration. Wooden reredos of c1872 and stained glass to E window. Original pulpit. Reading desk slightly altered. Original floor of stone flags in the alleys and elm boards under the pews. HISTORICAL NOTE: The church was built at the expense of Mary, Countess of Warrington and Stamford, of Dunham Massey, as a chapel of ease to Bowdon. It received a separate parish in 1887. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This church, which is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, is outstanding as a remarkably little altered mid C18 small church which retains so many of its original fittings intact.

Sources Council for the Care of Churches Report 1988 Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, Revised Edition, 1973.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212960
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15302/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F. Bryan Basketter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].