Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067893.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2021 at 01:38:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ 77238 92993


SJ 79 SE SALE CHURCH LANE (west side)

3/160 Church of Saint 11.11.66 Martin

G.V. II*

Church. 1714 for Joshua Allen with baptistery of 1874 by W.H. Brakspear and tower of 1887 by George Truefitt for Sir Williams Cunliffe Brooks. Ashlar and timber framing with graduated slate and clay tile roofs. Wide nave with west gallery, south porch, north baptistery and chancel with adjoining tower and vestry to south, organ chamber to north. 4-bay nave with porch (largely of 1887) in bay 1 in the same style as the tower top. The other bays have 3-light chamfered mullion windows with semi-circular heads in a C17 manner. The bold square tower has a projecting plinth, 3 casement windows at low level, datestone and a timber-framed clock stage, most of the panels being open. It has a clock face, gables on each side with moulded barge boards and is crowned by an elaborate weather-vane. The east and west windows are of 4 and 5 lights with intersecting tracery. The octagonal baptistery with pyramidal roof is in a more conventional post-Puginian Victorian Gothic style. There is a series of headstones attached to the south wall dating from 1644. Interior: chancel panelled with box pew ends. Double hammer beam roof with convex curved wind braces, probably of 1714. C16 octagonal front wrongly inscribed 1304, on C20 shaft. C18 baluster-type font. Studded batten door from former church (probably 1304). There has been a church on the site since 850 AD and the site was a Saxon burial ground. R. Richards, Old Cheshire Churches, 1973.

Listing NGR: SJ7723892993


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Richards, R, Old Cheshire Churches, (1973)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01739/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F. Bryan Basketter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].