FORMER MORAVIAN COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067979
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
FORMER MORAVIAN COLLEGE, 13, 13A AND 14, FAIRFIELD SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER MORAVIAN COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 15:01:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER MORAVIAN COLLEGE, 13, 13A AND 14, FAIRFIELD SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 90215 97624

Details

DROYLSDEN FAIRFIELD SQUARE SJ 99 NW

4/70 Nos. 13, 13A and 14 (Former Moravian College) (formerly listed as Nos 11, llA, 12, 13, No 14 17/11/66 (Fairfield Moravian College)

G.V. II

House, now a temporary clinic. c.1785. Flemish bond brick with slate roof. 5 bays and 3 storeys with lower 2-storey wings projecting to the rear at either side. Symmetrical elevation with stone plinth and central 3 bays which are slightly advanced. Central 6-panel door with stone eared architrave surround and pediment. Each floor has 4 or 5 four pane sash windows with C19 stone lintels and sills. The elevation originally included 2 Venetian windows which were removed in C19. Eaves are supported on bold C19 brackets. Gable chimney stacks. The rear left wing includes No. 13, which has been partly re-built in C19 and C20, and was partly used as the Moravian girls boarding school from 1796. The house itself was intended to house single Moravian women (sisters). It was changed to the girls boarding school in 1876 and in 1906-1958 was the Moravian Theological College.

Listing NGR: SJ9021597624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212726
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/03792/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Samantha Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].