FAIRFIELD MORAVIAN CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1067981
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
15A, 28 AND 30, FAIRFIELD SQUARE
Statutory Address:
FAIRFIELD MORAVIAN CHURCH, FAIRFIELD SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FAIRFIELD MORAVIAN CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 13:29:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
15A, 28 AND 30, FAIRFIELD SQUARE
Statutory Address:
FAIRFIELD MORAVIAN CHURCH, FAIRFIELD SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 90161 97617

Details

DROYLSDEN FAIRFIELD SQUARE SJ 99 NW

4/76 Nos. 15A, 28 and 30 and Fairfield 17/11/66 Moravian Church

G.V. II*

Church, house and manse (No. 28). c.1785. Header bond brick with slate roof. 8-bay gallery-plan church with cross-axial entrance flanked on either side by lower 3-bay 2-storey houses with central-entrance plans. Stone plinth and eaves cornice. The church has a giant pediment over the central 4 bays which are slightly advanced. Central door with stone surround and flat hood and 2 doors with eared architraves and pediments. Tall windows in the central. 4 bays are enlargements (probably of 1908) of the smaller original windows which had stone sills and cambered brick arches and still exist in the outer bays. Marginal glazing bars with circular heads. Hipped roof with central bell and clock cupola. The symmetrical house elevations step back from the church and are virtually identical to each other. Stone steps lead to 6-panel doors with eared architrave surrounds and pediments. Each has 2 ground floor and 3 first floor windows with stone sills, flat brick arches and 4-pane sashes. No. 15A is entered through the right gable-end of No. 30. Interior: virtually all internal features date from a refitting of 1908. West gallery on slender Ionic cast-iron columns. Timber glazed screens. Central pulpit in front of an organ recess which is flanked by paired Ionic pilasters and pedimented vestry doors. Timber pews and panelling. The group forms the centrepiece of the Fairfield Moravian Settlement which is the largest as well as the earliest of its kind to be established in England. The doctrinal emphasis on Christian brotherhood and community living led to the establishment of the self-contained village by Benjamin Latrobe. It was planned around a square, with the church facing south over an avenue of trees, graveyards and gardens. J. Aikin, A description of the country from thirty to forty miles round Manchester, 1795. F.H. Mellows, A short history of Fairfield Moravian Church, 1977.

Listing NGR: SJ9016197617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212732
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Aikin, J , A Description of the Country from Thirty to Forty Miles round Manchester, (1795)
Mellows, F H, A Short History of Fairfield Moravian Church, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/03792/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Samantha Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].