FORMER STALYBRIDGE TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1067987

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: FORMER STALYBRIDGE TOWN HALL, WATERLOO ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STALYBRIDGE TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 21:14:22.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER STALYBRIDGE TOWN HALL, WATERLOO ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SJ9634898591

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 99 NE 4/181 9.8.66

STALYBRIDGE WATERLOO ROAD (north side) Former Stalybridge Town Hall

G.V. II

Former town hall. 1831 with large additions of 1882. Ashlar with slate roof. Originally 3 x 5 bays with 3 storeys (formerly including a market hall on the ground floor) but later extended on both sides the Market Street wing filling a triangular plot and having 2 and 3 storeys and 16 bays. Projecting plinth, first and second floor bands and pedimented gable. 1-storey flush portico: 3 doors between Tuscan columns with pediment. 3 first floor windows with architrave surrounds and 3 plain to second floor. Round panel within gable pediment. A similar elevation is repeated on Stamford Street. The extension is in an Italianate style and has pilasters on ground and first floor of the central 5 bays. The central 3 have a pediment which surrounds the appropriate crest of arms and is topped by a small second pediment over the 1882 datestone. Windows have shouldered architraves and are round-arched on first floor. The right hand corner has 3 tiers of clasping pilasters and a steep roof with crowning ironwork. Interior: the public hall, council chamber and Lord Mayor's parlour retain original plasterwork ceilings and cornices. The council chamber has panelled dado, blind arcaded walls with flat pilasters, acanthus leaf cornices and wrought iron pendant light fittings.

Listing NGR: SJ9634898591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 212646

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing