This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE METHODIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE METHODIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1068003

Location

THE METHODIST CHURCH, STAMFORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Tameside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212684

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 99 NW, 4/35

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE, STAMFORD STREET (south side),

The Methodist Church

(formerly listed as The Methodist Church, Stamford Street (at corner of Warrington Street))

12/01/67

II

Church. 1832. Flemish bond brick with slate roof. 4-sided gallery plan with 7 x 4 bays and a C20 extension to east. Pedimented front has stone plinth with slightly advanced central two bays. Tetrastyle Greek Doric porch. Sash windows to either side have stone sills, flat brick arches and marginal glazing bars. Four first-floor windows have semi-circular heads, stone sills and sashes with marginal glazing bars. Three windows within tympanum. Side elevations repeat similar windows. Internally the hall has been split horizontally by a suspended ceiling above gallery level. The gallery has a panelled parapet and is supported on fluted columns. Pedimented organ loft on gallery to (ritual) east. Elaborate plaster frieze with shell motifs and decorative detailing to ceiling. Box pews remain at lower level only. 1930s light pendants of particular quality. A stone incorporated in the right of the church is a relic from the first chapel occupied by the Methodist New Conexion in Ashton in 1797.



Listing NGR: SJ9395598948

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Glover, W, History of Ashton under Lyne, (1884)

National Grid Reference: SJ 93955 98948

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068003 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:45:09.

End of official listing