DUKINFIELD OLD CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1068077
Date first listed:
17-Dec-1970
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
DUKINFIELD OLD CHAPEL, OLD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DUKINFIELD OLD CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068077 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 06:50:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
DUKINFIELD OLD CHAPEL, OLD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 94359 97963

Details

SJ 99 NW, 3/9

DUKINFIELD, OLD ROAD (east side), Dukinfield Old Chapel

(formerly listed under Chapel Hill)

17/12/70 GV

II*

Unitarian chapel. 1840-1, replacing an earlier building of 1707. By R. Tattersall. Ashlar with slate roof. Cruciform plan but with 3-sided gallery, aisles and an east organ. Early C14 style. West doorway beneath a 5-light window with geometric tracery. The gable is flanked by large octagonal pinnacles which are buttressed at the lower stages. Small stair wings to either side. The transepts have three lancet windows, raked coped gables with kneelers and clasping buttresses. Three bays to either side of the transepts have flat buttresses, lancet aisle windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops and lancet clerestory windows flanked by smaller blind lancets. Interior: quatrefoil piers with cast iron cores support galleries as well as the nave arcade. Lofty nave and transepts have quadripartite vaulting. Timberwork includes an elevated central pulpit. Wall plaques. Stained glass by Comere and Capronnier, and Morris of various dates. The north transept window (Morris) depicts George, David and Jonathan.



Listing NGR: SJ9435997963

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212465
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/01561/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barrie S. Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].