BISPHAM HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1068434

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: BISPHAM HALL, CRANK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISPHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068434 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 11:33:26.

Location

Statutory Address: BISPHAM HALL, CRANK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 52346 02469

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEY CRANK ROAD SD 50 SW (west side) 8/31 Bispham Hall 23.8.66 - II* Large house. 1573 with later extensions. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, roof now gone (1986). 3 storeys, 5 gabled bays, the 2nd and 4th bays project, the 1st and 5th bays project further and are wider. Base, quoins and some remaining coping. Most windows have double-chamfered mullions, probably restorations, and label moulds; most windows of 5 lights with transom. Ground floor has blocked window to 2nd bay, inner returns of 1st, 2nd and 5th bays have 4-light ovolo-mullioned blind windows with painted glazing. 1st floor has 4-light window to 4th bay and ovolo- mullioned blind windows to inner returns of 1st, 2nd and 5th bays. 2nd floor windows have no transoms, apart from 4-light window to 4th bay. Round-headed entrance has impost blocks, now blocked, arms under label mould above. Gable to 5th bay has round feature in coping. Left return has projecting gabled bay with canted projecting centre originally with hipped roof and rainwater head dated 1727. Continuous label moulds to windows, those to ground floor with double- chamfered mullions of 2 lights with transom those to 1st floor similar, with ovolo mullions, 2nd floor windows are ovolo-mullioned but have no transoms. Projecting lateral stack to right. Right return has projecting lateral stack with blocked fire windows and later lean-to shed with crow- stepped gable to front. Projecting gabled bay has ovolo- mullioned windows, as has extension to right. Rear has later extensions and a truncated stack, some mullioned windows and round-headed opening. Interior not inspected, upper storeys destroyed by fire; Tudor-headed doorway visible on 2nd floor; said to have large fireplaces, staircase with turned balusters has probably not survived. Although extensively damaged, the hall remains one of the most complete survivals from the C16 in the historic county of Lancashire.

Listing NGR: SD5245502493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213588

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing