Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1068536

Date first listed: 02-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: WINDY BANK, OLD ROAD


Ordnance survey map of WINDY BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068536 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 04:58:08.


Statutory Address: WINDY BANK, OLD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SD9445716652


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SD 91 NW 1/11 2/1/67


Windy Bank (formerly listed as Windy Bank Farmhouse)

G.V. II*

House. "RL 1611" (Robert Lightowlers) and "IBI 1635" (John Butterworth) on inscribed stones but incorporating a timber- framed structure possibly of early C16 origin. Hammer- dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof. 3-unit hearth-passage plan with wing to rear. Quoins and projecting plinth. 4-bay elevation, the door in bay 2 with C19 surround. 3, 2, 6 and 6-light double-chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds. 3, 3, 6 and 6-light similar on the first floor. 3 unequal coped gables with finials. Gargoyles. Ridge and gable chimney stacks. Bay 1 was rebuilt at a later date than the rest of the house, the early timber-framed structure having been removed rather than incorporated within the new stonework. The rear wing (1611) predates the stonework of the main range (1635 and later) and was formerly a free-standing single-cell house before being linked to the main range in mid C17. It has a door (now window) with 4-centred arch lintel, various 2, 3, 4 and 5-light double-chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds, a C20 porch and a C20 lean-to garage which obscures a gable chimney stack. Rear of main range partly obscured by C19 extension. Interior: arched and moulded fire surrounds to parlour and room above, with recessed and enriched spandrels. Chamfered beams with stepped stops. Remnants of former timber-framed structure include 2 collar and tie-beam roof trusses which are diagonally braced to posts, and a king-post roof truss over the hall which was probably open to the roof. All the tie-beams are cambered. The 1611 wing retains a bread oven within the gable stack, a roof truss with diagonal struts, and an original boarded door. Apart from a distinctive facade the house incorporates several important features including the rare survival of parts of a timber-framed open-hall-house and an early single-cell house. H. Fishwick, History of Rochdale, 1889.

Listing NGR: SD9445716652


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213343

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Fishwick, H, History of Rochdale, (1889)

End of official listing