Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 18:07:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 50576 07813



II Church, 1883-93 by H.G.W. Drinkwater with south-west porch added by G.F. Bodley

MATERIALS: Main church of rubble stone; ashlar porch.

PLAN: Small chancel, an aisled and clerestoried nave, south chapel, south-west porch, vestry and choir vestry to north-east.

EXTERIOR: The church, of 1883-93, was designed by H.G.W. Drinkwater in the style of c.1300-1330. Mainly in coursed rubble stone, it comprises a lofty chancel, an equally imposing aisled and clerestoried nave, south chapel, and vestry and choir vestry to north-east. In 1898-9 G.F. Bodley added an ashlar south-west porch, intended to be the lower storeys of a tower that in the event was never realised.

INTERIOR: The interior is conventional and, especially its east end, reflects St. Margaret's High Church tradition. The rood screen is by Bodley and his partner Cecil Hare (gates 1896, rood 1907, cresting 1915), as are the small pulpit and tester. Dramatic wooden reredos with statues and Nativity scene and aumbry with gothic doors and painted interior both Cecil Hare, 1908. Another less-accomplished wooden reredos in N aisle by F.C. Howard, c.1930. Baptistry screen 1913, and font with elaborate timber cover, again by Hare. There is a great deal of late C19 and early C20 stained glass, the earliest windows being in the clerestory, some of these by Burlison and Grylls. The only other recorded designer is F.C. Eden who was responsible for all the Lady Chapel windows, the east window in the chancel, and the three later windows in the north aisle. The interior has always had seats rather than benches.

HISTORY: St. Margaret's was built 1883-93 as a chapel of ease to Saints Philip and James to accommodate the inhabitants of this part of north Oxford which had expanded markedly from the early C19. It replaced a mission room in Hayfield Road. The main body of the church was built between 1883 and c.1893 to designs by a local architect H.G.W. Drinkwater. The tower, begun in 1899, was designed by the rather more distinguished G.F. Bodley but was abandoned after the completion of the entrance porch. The attached Vicarage of c.1884 by Drinkwater is separately listed at Grade II. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: St. Margaret's is a large urban church, built in 1883-93 to accommodate the inhabitants of this part of north Oxford which had expanded markedly from the early C19. The main body of the church, in rubble stone, was designed by H.G.W. Drinkwater in the style of c.1300-1330. G.F. Bodley was to add a south-west tower in ashlar, but in the event only its porch storey was completed. In contrast to the rather austere exterior and barn-like (yet imposing) nave, the east end of the interior, dominated by a reredos by Bodley's partner Cecil Hare, has a range of high-quality and richly adorned fixtures and fittings reflecting its High Church tradition.

SOURCES: J. Sherwood and N. Pevsner, Oxfordshire (1974), 293; V.C.H. Oxfordshire 4 (1979), 410; P.M. Hunneyball, 'Survey of Iconography and Inscriptions at St. Margaret's Church, Oxford' (TS., 2004; copy in church papers).


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Oxfordshire: Volume IV , (1979)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 410


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13186/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].