CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1068865

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CLEMENTS GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 02:19:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CLEMENTS GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire (District Authority)

Parish: Long Whatton and Diseworth

National Grid Reference: SK 45370 24530

Details

LONG WHATTON CLEMENTS GATE SK 4424-4524 (Diseworth) 12/168 Church of St Michael 7.12.62 GV II*

Parish church. C11-C12 in origin but substantially C13 with early C14 tower. North porch dated 1661. C19 and C20 restorations. Rubble stone with ashlar tower and lead roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle, north porch, chancel. West tower is of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, 2-light traceried west window, and wide arched single lights in double-chamfered surrounds to bell- chamber. Broach spire-with single tier of lucarnes. Nave has some herringbone stone work at base of north wall, a short length of moulded plinth, and a coved cornice. Large C19 brick buttress at north east corner. North side has 2 large arched single lights in double-chamfered surrounds, and moulded arched doorway with inner order on shafts. North porch has coped gable and moulded arch. South aisle has covered eaves and restored traceried windows, the west end with 2-light window, the south side with 3-light window to left and tall 2-light window to right, the east end with another 3-light window. Both 3-light windows have intersecting tracery. Moulded south doorway is partly infilled and has small door. Chancel retains outline and inner splays of small Cll-Cl2 arched single light now blocked, in north wall, and one other blocked single light with traces of carving over arched head. South side has 2 C19 2-light traceried windows in Decorated style, and blocked lowside window. Large 3-light east window with cusped tracery. INTERIOR: is much restored and stripped of plaster. Double-chamfered arches to tower, chancel and south arcade. South arcade is of 3 bays and has octagonal piers, moulded capitals, with dogtooth ornament, and label with carved stops. Nave roof renewed 1949, south aisle roof 1902 and chancel roof 1964. Chancel has aumbry in east wall, and arched piscina with rebate in south wall. Fittings include a font with round bowl, possibly Cll-Cl2, on later base with 4 filletted shafts, and a panelled pulpit and tester dated RC 1713. By the font are fragments of wall plaster from No 31 Hall Gate, with small incised figures. Other fittings are C19. Marble wall MEMORIALS include a late C18 tablet to Calet Lowdhan and family, and C19 tablets to members of the Cheslyn family. Tablet to Anne Cheslyn 1823 has relief carving of a mourning lady leaning on a tomb.

Listing NGR: SK4537024530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358215

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing