ST RADEGUND'S ABBEY FARMHOUSE AND OUTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1068889
Date first listed:
17-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
ST RADEGUND'S ABBEY FARMHOUSE AND OUTHOUSE, ABBEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST RADEGUND'S ABBEY FARMHOUSE AND OUTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068889 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 20:07:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST RADEGUND'S ABBEY FARMHOUSE AND OUTHOUSE, ABBEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Hougham Without
National Grid Reference:
TR 27538 41955

Details

TR 24 SE HOUGHAM ABBEY ROAD (south side) 4/66 St. Radegund's 27.8.52 Abbey Farmhouse and Outhouse GV II* Monastic refectory, now house. Early C13, converted to house c.1590 for Simon Edolph, and altered C18.Restored 1981. pressed stone, flint and rubble, with some red brick details, and plain tiled roof. Two storeys on undercroft, with hipped roof, and brick stacks to rear centre and rear left. Projecting hipped 2 storey porch to right. Patterned stonework throughout (of c.1590) with triangular panels, lozenge-shaped ashlar set in flint panels, and alternating stone and flint blocks. Two cross windows on first floor, and wooden 4 light mullioned and transomed window to left, and stone 3 light to centre right on ground floor, both insertions into earlier openings with label hoods over. Blocked brick basement opening to left, and 2 wooden casements to centre and to right. Porch at end right, with leaded wooden casements on first floor, and moulded round headed arch with imposts and keystone, and spandrels with shields, and pilaster and cornice surround; at head of flights of 8 steps, with multi-panelled and moulded original door, in keyed and impost inner doorway. Right-return: tile hung. Rear elevation with greater evidence of medieval openings, including chamfered doorway, and 3 massive buttresses. Refectory pulpit remains embedded at first floor level; to rear right (south-east of house) a single storeyed wing, with corrugated iron roof, of flint on dressed stone, with boarded door and wooden casement to east front, being the remains of monastic "common house". Interior: screens passage, C13 4 bay vaulted undercroft. The Abbey was founded 1191 for Premonstratensian Canons, colonised directly from Premontre; major building took place only in the early C13, however, the foundation declining by about 1450, dissolved 1538, and purchased by Simon Edolph 1590. (See Sir William St. John Hope, Arch. Cant. 14,1882; see also B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 439-440; see also I.W. Green, Kent Life, June 1970).

Listing NGR: TR2764342124

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178595
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 439-440
'Archaeologia Cantiana' in Archaeologia Cantiana, (1882)
'Kent Life' in June, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].