This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1069110

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SEASALTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Graveney with Goodnestone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176719

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 06 SE GRAVENEY SEASALTER ROAD (West side)

3/113 Church of All Saints 24.1.67 I Parish Church. C12 and C14 with some C15 fenestration. Little restored, but downpipes dated 1870. Coursed rubble and flint with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with aisles, north-western tower and south porch. Tower with string course and battlements, lancets in four stages and quatrofoil at the top. Circular north-eastern stair-turret. Roll moulded and hollow chamfered west doorway. South aisle with offset diagonal buttresses and parapet. C14 Decorated tracery, of cusped paired lights with quatrefoils over, and 3 light aisle east window withcusped and foiled tracery and segmental hood. South porch extended in brick and pebbledashed, with moulded and chamfered south doorway. Chancel with cusped C14 lancets to south, restored C13 lancets to north, and 3 light C15 Perpendicular east window within the larger blocked jambs and drip mould of C14 east window. North aisle with 5 buttresses. Perpendicular 2 light windows, and simple chamfered north door- way. Interior: C14 nave arcades; 3 bays to the north with the tower as end bay, and 4 bays to south. Octagonal piers on seat-plinths with moulded capitals, those to south richer; hollow chamfered and wave-moulded south arcade, double chamfered north arcade. Roof of 5 crown posts, with moulded collar beams and side purlins, and solid spandrels to raised tie beams. Lean-to aisle roofs. Romanesque chancel arch on imposts, the piers cut away and corbelled. Interior jambs and drip mould of C14 east window survive around C15 insertion, the respond carried down to floor level. Braced truss and tie beam roof-with embattled wall plate. Fittings: chancel; cinquefoil headedpiscina, double and single sedilia, the larger to east with colonnettes with moulded octagonal bases and capitals, the smaller with cinquefoiled head. Four centred arch and embattled label over both. Two C15 benches with poppy- heads, one with 6 pierced and cusped panels, the other with 3 pierced panels. Screen: early C16, 5 bays with attached shafts with Tudor flower motif on base with traceried panels and shields. Embattled transom running into tracery pattern, Central frieze with decorative motifs showing Renaissance influence. C19 embattled top beam. Nave: pulpit, late C17 on C19 base, taken from Faversham parish church. Pentagonal with enriched bolection moulded panels with festoons over and ribboned festoons along arrises of each panel. Moulded cornice, and 3 semi-circular steps to rear. Box pews, extended into south aisle and incorporating late medieval benches with poppy heads and hollow chamfered end moulding. South aisle: cusped piscina with ogee head and animal head finial. Tomb recess with segmental arch, embattled cornice and attached shafts, with tomb chest and brass, 24" of Richard de Feversham, d.1381, C15 font, hollow octagonal bowl with decorated panels. C13 parish chest, wooden, with incised trefoil-headed arcade, and cross-hatched decorated iron flanges on lid. North aisle: cusped ogee headed piscina; recess cut out of north-east corner. Some medieval floor tiles. Brasses: mutilated examples in south aisle. Joan de Feverham and son, d.1360, 14" half figures. Judge John Martyn, d.1436. 56" figures of Justice of Common Pleas and his wife under double canopy. He holds an inscribed heart, she has a lap dog at her feet. Glass: C14 fragments in north aisle east window, C15 fragments in chancel south-west window (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983 337-8).

Listing NGR: TR0519062470

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 337-8

National Grid Reference: TR 05269 62682

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 09:00:18.

End of official listing