CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1069116
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069116.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Jul-2020 at 01:52:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
Parish:
Hernhill
National Grid Reference:
TR 06491 60680

Details

TR 06 SE HERNHILL HERNHILL GREEN (South side)

3/130 Church of 24.1.67 St. Michael

GV I

Parish Church. C15. Chancel rebuilt 1833, restored 1867; nave restored 1877. Chancel, north chapel, nave with aisles and south east chapel, western tower and north porch. Flint and plain tiled roof. Two stage western tower with plinth, string course, cornice and battlements with four times offset diagonal buttresses and south-eastern octagonal stair turret. Double hollow chamfered western doorway. Roll and hollow chamfer north porch doorway with rib and stud door, and interior doorway with hollow chamfer and octagonal attached shafts. Perpendicular C15 tracery throughout, part restored. Stone over east window with inscription:

This Chancel Built by Percy Groves A.D. 1833

Interior: double hollow chamfered tower arch and attached shafts with octagonal capitals. Three bay nave arcade with slim shafts in clusters of 4, with moulded capitals and bases. Double hollow chamfered arcade deeply undercut. Chamfered doorway to stair turret. Roof of 4 crown posts, the end 2 with shortened posts. North aisle with corbel table, cornice and rafter roof, south aisle with roof of 3 crown posts. No chancel arch. Moulded archway through the south east chapel. C19 arch to north (Dawes) chapel. Fitting: four centred arched doors and stair to missing rood left. C15 screen of 5 bays with traceried bays attached shafts and crocketted ogee surrounds, and C19 top section. Chamfered piscina and aumbrey in south aisle. C18 brass chandelier of 12 sticks. Glass: South aisle, C18 window heads, and 3 painted panels, the storey of Joseph, signed C. Handley, 1836 (the Vicar's wife]. In the churchyard are buried John Nichols Thom alias Sir William Courteney, and 6 of his followers, all killed in the Courteney Riots of 1838. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 391).

Listing NGR: TR0656060805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
176734
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 391

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/13665/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Donovan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].