Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069252.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:49:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Swale (District Authority)
Norton, Buckland and Stone
National Grid Reference:
TQ 96776 61100



1/51 Church of St. Mary 24.1.67 I

Parish church. C12 to C14. Tower repaired C18, restored and porch added 1872. Flint, in part rendered, with tufa quoins, red brick buttresses and plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch. Tower with brick buttresses, keyed brick belfry lights and battlements. Overlapping plank door with strap-hinges with veined decoration in chamfered doorways and C14 timbered porch. C14 trefoil headed lancet windows with ogee surrounds and partly restored C13 triple lancet windows with ogee doorway. Interior: Nave and chancel roofed as one with scissor braced roof. C19 cruck-type wooden chancel arch. Reveals of blocked C13 and C12 lancets in nave and chancel. Chancel east window with triple headed but continuous drip mould. C19 altar rail and fittings. Monuments: in Chancel, Baptist Piggot, d.1677. Grey Marble wall plaque, with scrolled and garlanded sides, on base with consoles and swags. Scrolled pediment over with cartouche. Benjamin Godfrey, d.1704 (son- in-law of Baptist Piggot) wall tablet. Urn at top with gar- lands, on plinth, with plaque below supported by weeping putti either side. Gadrooned base to plaque on coved cornice on foliated consoles. Below, the inscription on a cloth, gathered up and hung from erupting palm fronds. Later inscription to Reverend William Lushington (d.1842) on upper plaque. In the nave: Right Hon. Mary Elizabeth Lady Sondes, d.1818, by Jonathan Seward. White wall plaque, a robed woman rising through clouds to blazing sun, directed by winged angels, with Hebrew characters and various symbols - apple tree, flaming torch, bag of gold, eagle, deaths head and cornucopia. George Finch, d.1584. White hanging monument. Gadrooned and fluted surround to inscription on coved and gadrooned base. Corinthian columns carry frieze, modillion eaves cornice and achievement. Charles Tassel, d.1763. White and yellow wall plaque, with scrolled and garlanded sides with triple projecting cornice and base with winged head. (See BOE Kent II 1983, 408)

Listing NGR: TQ9701860488


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 408


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07529/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].