CHANTRY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1069369

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHANTRY HOUSE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHANTRY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 13:29:44.

Location

Statutory Address: CHANTRY HOUSE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale (District Authority)

Parish: Bredgar

National Grid Reference: TQ 87982 60406

Details

TQ 86 SE BREDGAR THE STREET (west side)

5/92 Chantry House (Formerly listed as chantry Cottages) 24.1.67 II*

Chantry college, now house. Circa 1392 altered C19. Flint with red brick dressings stone quoins and plain tiled roof. Two storeys and moulded eaves cornice, with 4 stacks from left to right. Regular fenestration of 4 C19 tripartite sash and central sash on first floor and 4 tripartite sash on ground floor. Original openings since revealed, mullioned light to left on first floor, single openings with stone surrounds on ground floor. Central door of 6 panels with rectangular fan, moulded surrounds and cornice hood, with exposed brick and wood from earlier door opening exposed around it. Right return front: first floor has C14 2 light cusped opening. Interior: much of C14 remaining. 2 vaulted and half-sunk rooms; roof of 5 large moulded crown posts with 2 round flint chimneys; moulded stone doorways originally at either end of passage from central hall to kitchen. Later features include C17 moulded brick fireplace, and panelling, carving and staircase of various dates, C17 - C18 imported from various London buildings in the 1950's. Internal plan reconstructed as having been vaulted storerooms with chaplain's room over; open hall; pantry, buttery and passage with scholars' room over; kitchen open to roof. College was founded 1397 by Robert de Bradegare, the north aisle of the church used as its chapel (the whole church rebuilt at-Same time). (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983 p. 158; Arch. Cant. 1975, E.W. Parkin).

Listing NGR: TQ8798560411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 176114

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 158

End of official listing