GREAT EVERDEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1070038

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Statutory Address: GREAT EVERDEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREAT EVERDEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:22:36.

Location

Statutory Address: GREAT EVERDEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Alkham

National Grid Reference: TR 23420 42079

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 24 SW ALKHAM 3/1 Great Everden II House C15, altered C16 and C18 to late C20. Timber framed and clad and extended with rubble with flint galleting and red brick in English bond and red brick, partly rendered and with tile hanging and weather boarding. Plain tiled roof. Hall house in origin with additional C18 wing. Entrance elevation:- 2 storeys on flint plinth with double span roof and stacks to left and to right. Three wooden casements on first floor and 2 with segmental heads to right on ground floor with canted bay to left. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels to centre left, the top 2 panels glazed, with flat hood on brackets. Outshot to right. Return elevation: to right, exposed wall of dressed stone and rubble with flint galleting within outshot; the flint plinth is clad over with C16 brick work, with flint and stone walling on rear elevation, and more English bond brickwork on rear right return, with several small brick mullioned windows. Rear hip of main range with gablets, C20 fenestration of 5 wooden casements on each floor of right return. Interior: large scantling framing and internal partition. Inglenook fireplace. Row of 4 arched doorways in ground floor corridor. The position of these doorways along the long axis of the building suggests a non-domestic origin of the building. It was by repute a leper hospital attached to the nearby commandery of the Knights of St. John at Swingfield; subsequently a manorial site deriving its name from a branch of the Avranches family settled here until 1688 (originally called Evering). (See Hasted, VIII, p 137; Lees & Humphreys, Alkham Parish, 1985).

Listing NGR: TR2342042079

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178530

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1797), 137
Lees, , Humphreys, , Alkham Parish, (1985)

End of official listing