CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1070047
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070047 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:14:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Capel-le-Ferne
National Grid Reference:
TR 25711 40018

Details

TR 24 SE CAPEL-LE-FERNE 4/26 Church of St Mary 22.8.62 GV I Parish Church, now redundant. C12, with C13 tower and alterations. C14 screen and porch. C15 fenestration. Restored 1890. Flint with plain tiled roof. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Two stage west tower with double offset angle buttresses, 2 string courses and parapet. West doorway with slight billet moulded chamfered arch. C15 fenestration throughout, with head only of C14 light in north nave with quatrefoils, and small C12 round headed lancet, also in north nave wall. Large, plain gabled C14 porch. Interior: remarkably unrestored; simple chamfered tower arch on coved abaci, and C13 roof of 3 crown posts. C 14 stone screen to chancel, with large round-headed chamfered opening high in wall (against which the rood cross was originally silhouetted), and below a 3 bay arcade with octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases and double hollow chamfered and roll moulded arches, and drip mould or carved head corbels. Four moulded corbels set above the arcade originally supported the rood screen, with extra light from the C14 window in north nave wall, only the head of which survives. Chancel, with simple treatment to screen, and roof of 3 crown posts on moulded wall plate. Fittings: large moulded corbels on east on north chancel walls, with semi-circular aumbrey on north wall. Simple chamfered sedile with depressed arch, and trefoil headed piscina with Bethersden marble angle shaft, a C13 fitting. Reveal of C12 nave window with painted foliage decoration. Fragments of medieval glass in East window. Octagonal font on hollow chamfered octagonal stem. Brass: Reset on wooden wall plaque in chancel. John Gybbis, d.1526, and Margritt his wife. Foot high figures, with shield over and 4 children below. White marble wall plaque to General Sir Charles William Dunbar Staveley, d.1896 veteran of Crimean and Chinese wars, with sarcophagus draped with battle honours and sword. (See BOE Kent II, 1983, 262).

Listing NGR: TR2532939637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178555
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 262

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08247/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G Blakesley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].