CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1070054
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070054.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:57:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Langdon
National Grid Reference:
TR 33310 45980

Details

TR 34 NW LANGDON EAST LANGDON West side

2/26 Church of St. Augustine

GV II*

Parish church Cll to C12, with C14-C15 fenestration, C16 north porch and restored and tower built 1892 by Loftus Brock. Flint with ragstone tower, and plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and south aisle, north porch and west tower. Two stage tower with triple offset angle buttresses, battlements and spirelet,south aisle with restored simple pointed windows, blocked south doorway with elliptical head. Chancel stepped in, with trilobed lancets to north and south and C15 east window of 2 lights with quatrefoil over. Two light ogee-traceried square headed window and round headed lancet in nave, with red brick north porch in English bond, the details of moulded brickwork now picked out heavily and cemented with flint panelled plinths,quoins, corbelled eaves and kneelered gable with aedicule and ribband decoration. Chamfered door surround and mullioned side windows. Restored C12 doorway with voussoir with chevron moulding and C18 panelled door. Interior C19 tower arch with chamfered surround to hollow moulded arch on corbels. Nave with C12 2 bay south arcade and round responds with scalloped capitals, the centre pier and the arches being C12 rebuilt. The arcade cuts through an earlier Cll/C12 window, a pair to the round headed window to north wall south aisle,with original reveals to pointed arched windows.C19 tie beam and collar braced nave roof. Chancel arch C12 with wave and roll moulded arch on abaci with guilloche pattern to south, key pattern to north and responds with nook shafts. Arched opening from chancel to south aisle given classical effect (C16?) by addition of keystone and imposts.C19 trussed rafter roof. Fittings simple round headed piscina and aumbrey in north wall in chancel, octagonal C15 font on pillared base of 1892, the bowl moulded with stylised leaf and half angel figures. C16 hourglass bracket on chancel arch respond, of wrought iron with twisted stem and trumpet. Flower bracket with scrolled body and cage containing hourglass. Royal Arms, painting on north wall of 1801, brass about 9" high C16 to a lady of the Master family, refitted on a stone on south chancel wall. Monument, Thomas Marsh d.1634. Large wall tablet in chancel, with grey plaque with gilt lettering in veined white marble surround, with scrolled apron. Festooned base and floriate side scrolls with broken segmental pediment and embroidered with Annunciation scene and C14 devices re-used here. (See BOE Kent II 1983 305-6).

Listing NGR: TR3320646164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178465
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 305-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15627/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].