ELMSTONE CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1070154

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: ELMSTONE CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELMSTONE CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 07:26:40.

Location

Statutory Address: ELMSTONE CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Preston

National Grid Reference: TR 26149 60284

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 26 SE PRESTON ELMSTONE

2/181 Elmstone Church 11.10.63 (dedication unknown)

GV II*

Parish church. C12, remodelled and extended early C14, restored externally 1878 and generally 1900. Flint with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and north aisle, north-west tower and south porch. Two cell Romanesque church, small round headed lights on nave south and chancel north walls. Ogee headed lancets, paired ogee headed lights in north aisle. Restored 3 light Y- traceried west window, and east window. Buttresses to tower, chancel and north aisle. Interior: 3 bay north arcade, with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. Westernmost arch (to tower) pinched, and repeated in north aisle. Nave and chancel with one (C19) roof. Lean-to aisle roof. Chancel stepped in, no chancel arch. Fittings: small square piscina in north aisle and piscina/water stoup by south door. Bench and reading desk in chancel, fashioned from late medieval bench ends with simple poppyheads. Font, C12 or C13, with Bethersden marble bowl, round at top, made square at base by anvil-shaped corner piers. Base of 5 simple shafts. All other fittings C19. Monuments: Robert Jaques, d.1671, a gentleman of Luton. Standing wall monument on white and black marble bench- like base. Voluted urn-shaped side pieces and bay-leaf pattern frieze with segmental pediment and draped cartouche. White marble inscription plaque with gold acanthus surround. Topped by portrait bust, antique-styled drapery. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 313).

Listing NGR: TR2614960284

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178212

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 313

End of official listing