Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070241.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 23:53:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dover (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 25307 52348


NONINGTON PINNERS LANE TR 25 SE (north side) 3/153 Church of St.Mary 11.10.63 GV I Parish church. Late C13, restored 1867 (Ewan Christian), and 1887. Flint with plain tiled roof. Nave and chancel with north chapel and north aisle with north west tower and north porch. Two stage tower with string course and battlements. Nave west front with simple chamfered doorway, 3 light Perpendicular window and offset angle buttresses. C19 fenestration elsewhere except 1 lancet in nave and 2 each in chancel and chapel and triple lancet East windows to both chancels, with ogee headed C15 windows to north aisle. Irregularly placed buttresses throughout. C19 north porch with hollow and roll moulded north doorway with attached shafts. Interior; west end of nave with line of corbels and carved head and blocked arch to tower. Continuous arcade from nave and chancel to north aisle and chapel, 3 bays in the nave 2 in the chancel, with round piers with moulded bases and capitals and double chamfered arches. The western respond sits on a fine carved head. Nave roof with 3 crown posts. The wall thickens by the chancel arch with a rood loft passage to the north aisle. Broad double chamfered chancel arch on lozenge shaped pier with deeply rebated lancet at east end of nave. Trussed rafter roof in chancel. Lancets in chancel originally on continuous string course with moulded hoods over, heavily altered. Deep, tall eastern lancets. North aisle and chapel with simple double chamfered dividing arch. Long roof to aisle with only 2 crown posts and 3 in chapel. Fittings; stop chamfered piscina in chancel. C19 fittings, lectern, pulpit, altar rails, marble reredos of 1891 with tiled inscription plaques. Mutilated moulded elliptical wall recess in north chapel, now with ogee headed window in back wall. Simple font with octagonal bowl on round stem, dated: I N . Glass; 1662 C15 fragments in a north aisle window. Monuments; C19 series of black and white wall tablets in the chancel to the Hammond family and in the north chapel to the Plumptre family, none of any note except that to Elizabeth Plumptre,d.1816,a plain white sarcophagus shaped field on guilloched base with draped urn over, and Christopher Pemberton,d.1822 of 'Tic Doulereux' (trigeminal neuralgia),a white and black tablet with acroteria, pediment and palm fronds and coats of arms. Small marble plaque on chancel east wall with brass shield and inscription to William Simpson,d.1581, 'vice Marchell of Calys'. Anthony Field, C17,black and white marble wall tablet with Latin and English verses pregnant with puns on the name Field,with scrolled apron with winged cherubs and ribband enriched side pieces with broken pediment, strapwork and skulls. Two wall tablets in the north aisle, both C17 and both illegible, the one with scrolled and bracketed apron and side pieces to cornice with cartouche and arms medallion over, the other with scrolled apron with oak leaf decoration and 2 cherbub heads with enriched Corinthian pilasters to cornice with arched headed inscription plaque. Four lozenge shaped hatchments of Hammond family in the chancel. The church was a chapelry of Wingham until1282, then refounded as a benefice for Wingham College (seeB.0.E. Kent 1983,404;seealso A.Sutton, Nonington,1975).

Listing NGR: TR2534252361


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 404
Sutton, A, Nonington, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/10958/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Carroll. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].