CENTRAL BLOCK OF CONVENT OF NOTRE DAME INCLUDING CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1070611
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1980
Statutory Address:
CENTRAL BLOCK OF CONVENT OF NOTRE DAME INCLUDING CHAPEL, 92, MOUNT PLEASANT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CENTRAL BLOCK OF CONVENT OF NOTRE DAME INCLUDING CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:38:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CENTRAL BLOCK OF CONVENT OF NOTRE DAME INCLUDING CHAPEL, 92, MOUNT PLEASANT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35518 90071

Details

SJ 3590 SE MOUNT PLEASANT (south side) L3

55/790 No. 92 (Central block of Convent of Notre Dame including 13.11.80 Chapel)

G.V. II

Convent building and chapel. 1857. Architect Charles Hansom. Chapel added 1865-7 to the designs of M.E. Hadfield and his son Charles. Brown brick, hipped slate roof. Three storeys. Enriched eaves cornice. Five bays, entrance bay gabled with two-storey windows with plate tracery, and three lancets in gable end; arched door with richly ornamental blind fanlight. Remaining bays have round-headed sashes with marginal glazing bars and pointed relieving arches forming a blind arcade on ground floor, segment-headed sashes with relieving arches on first floor, and sashes with shouldered lintels on second floor. Chapel on garden side was (understandably) praised by Eastlake. Brown brick, with blue brick strings and some ashlar dressings. Slate roof. Two storeys. Chapel on first. Four bays (of which only three project from rear of house) and five-bay rounded apse. Very tall smooth and gaunt. Mulit-stepped buttresses. Two-light plate tracery "Early French" windows, quatrefoils, ground floor ones with ringed, colonnettes, first floor ones with lobed in tympanum. Apse windows are lancets with polychrome voussoirs and flanking marble colonnettes, paired cusped lancets on ground floor. Sculpted relief in central apse bay. Sculpted angel (wooden?) on finial at south end of ridge. Tall hexagonal slated fleche with weathervane and open lantern stage with cusped openings. Two-storey projection in fourth bay of chapel on west side of 2 bays; gable roof and similar windows as elsewhere. 1st bay sacristy projection with side chapel on 1st floor. 2nd bay later, with hipped roof, two-light stone mullioned windows; doorway with blind arched fanlight, decorated with diapering in return. Interior has quadripartite vaults taken on colonnettes springing from foliated corbels. Vault to apse painted; colonnettes on angle corbels, colonnettes of wall arches ashlar, colonnettes of transverse arches black marble. timber fronted gallery with C20 screen under. Entrance door in deeply moulded arch with two orders of black marble colonnettes, oak door with ornamental iron hinges. The chapel was damaged 1941 and restored 1949 (glass by Messrs. Early of Dublin).

Listing NGR: SJ3551890071

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359131
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/03973/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brendan Oxlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enrichin[email protected].