Former Liverpool Eye and Ear Infirmary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1070616
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
2, Stowell Street, Liverpool
Statutory Address:
3-5, Myrtle Street, Liverpool

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former Liverpool Eye and Ear Infirmary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070616.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 01:06:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
2, Stowell Street, Liverpool
Statutory Address:
3-5, Myrtle Street, Liverpool

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35676 89838

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/09/2018

SJ 3589 NE 57/804

MYRTLE STREET L7 No 3-5 and No 2 Stowell Street Former Liverpool Eye and Ear Infirmary

(Formerly listed as Myrtle Street building of Central Liverpool College of Further Education)

II Former Liverpool Eye and Ear Infirmary.1879 and extension of 1880. Red brick terracotta, stone and tile roof.

Three storeys with basement and attic; nine bays, one-storey, one-bay connecting block and extension of two storeys and attic, and two bays. Centre three bays break forward, centre bay breaks forward again. Flush sill bands and terracotta frieze between lintels, bracketed cornice. Windows have varied fenestration most windows with stone mullions and transoms, those to first floor with two transoms. Recessed bay has projecting five-light window with coving and hipped roof with gablets. Entrance has pointed arch with cornice and two lions holding shields, flanking canted projecting windows. Recessed doorcase has glazed tracery and half-glazed door. End bays have first floor canted oriels in chamfered reveals. Central bays have frieze over first floor with inscription 'THE LIVERPOOL EYE AND EAR INFIRMARY ERECTED A.D.1879.' Hipped roof with central three-bay projection. Coved gables to central and end bays, other bays have roof dormers. Three-bay projection has hipped dormers at ends.Return to Stowell Street of seven bays has canted bay with gable, iron area railings, three clustered stacks.

Extension of rock faced stone with ashlar dressing. Two storeys with attic, two bays. Ground floor windows have mullions and transoms, of four and six flights between buttresses, that to left is gabled with dragon finial, that to right has shield finial that to centre has canopied niche with statue of St. Luke. First floor mullioned oriels of four and six lights. Arcaded parapet. Timber framed gabled dormers. Mansard roof with end stacks.

Listing NGR: SJ3567689838

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
359145
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12577/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glyn Williams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].