Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST RUMWOLD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071194.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:06:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ashford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 05715 34426


TR 03 SE BONNINGTON 7/77 Church of St. Rumwold 27.11.57 GV I Parish church. C12, nave rebuilt C13/C14. Ragstone with timber framed and brick infill porch and weather boarded turret, with plain tiled roof and leaded turret roof. Chancel and nave with western turret and northern porch. Offset buttresses, repaired with brick, to western end, with double hollow chamfered western doorway with drip mould. Leaded ogee-shaped roof to turret with vane post. Nave with 3 offset buttresses to each wall with 2 cusped 2 light Y-tracery windows on each wall. Chamfered south doorway and hollow chamfered north door with drip mould in timber porch with ragstone base and cusped bargeboard over doorway with durns Nave east wall with lancets (blocked to south). Chancel stepped with Romanesque lancet to north, C16 2 light Perpendicular window to south and Romanesque triple East window. Interior: nave with roof of 2 crown posts and early C17 timber gallery structure at west end, the floor boards missing, but with turned baluster rail and upper flight of newel stairs. Chamfered chancel arch on moulded imposts. Chancel with plastered barrel roof. Fittings: segmentally arched double piscina in east wall and partly blocked aumbrey in south wall of chancel, with window seat to C16 chancel south window. Turned baluster altar rail with wrought iron supports to gate piers, simple wainscotting to sanctuary and raised and fielded panelled choir stalls. C18 octagonal pulpit with attached reading desk, with raised and fielded panels on rendered masonry base, with Greek key cornice and fluted pilastered back panel to tester with Greek key and modillioned cornice. Small trefoiled and ogee headed beaded niche on nave north-east wall. Bulbous font of Bethersden marble on square base, with railed surround (taken from altar rail?) with re-used Poppy head bench end. Bolection moulded prayer boards and benefaction board in nave (dated 1774, recording the benefaction of Valentine Knott of 8 shillings p.a. from Pinn Farm, 1614 Fragments of glass, C14 and Cl5, in nave, and East window dated 1907. Royal Arms, mid C18, on west wall. (See B.O.E. Kent I, 172-3).

Listing NGR: TR0587934349


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 172-3


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08643/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George D. Russell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].