COURT LODGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1071209

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1957

Statutory Address: COURT LODGE FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COURT LODGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071209 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 09:08:52.

Location

Statutory Address: COURT LODGE FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Aldington

National Grid Reference: TR 07520 36203

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 03 NE ALDINGTON CHURCH LANE (east side) 4/10 Court Lodge 27.11.57 Farmhouse GV II* Farmhouse incorporating remains of Archiepiscopal hunting lodge. C14, much extended c.1500 and altered early Cl9. Ragstone, with some brick dressings and repairs, with plain tiled roofs. Entrance front: early C19, re-using medieval stone and possibly foundations. Two storeys with brick quoins and corbelled eaves to roof with kneelered parapet gables and stacks to left and to right. Three segmentally headed glazing bar sashes on each floor and ribbed panelled door to centre left. Long 2 storey wing extending to rear, with irregular wooden casements and boarded doors, and Cl4 blocked traceried windows on north and south elevations; and 1 to east elevation; one on south especially revealing tracery pattern (3 daggers over 2 cinquefoiled lights). Hipped extension with weather boarded outshot at north-east end. A second parallel range is adjacent to the south, the west and east ends rebuilt in late C20 brick (old photographs show oast roundels), the other elevation of stone and early C18 brickwork, used as garage/ stabling, with boarded door and ventilation slits, with jambs of blocked medieval window exposed. Interior: the main range to rear with screens- passage (stone jambs to cross-passage doors survive) 3 windows traceable on each long side, and 1 large eastern window and smoke-blackened barrel roof, and is probably the great hall not a chapel as previously maintained. The southern range may wellbe a kitchen block in origin. Cl7 inserted stacks with inglenooks, and beamed ceilings in main range. This was a manor house and hunting lodge of the Archbishops of Canterbury, particularly favoured and improved by Archbishops Morton (1486-1500) and Wareham (1508-1532), both of whom also embellished the adjacent parish Church of St. Martin. The house, park and Chase (some 1000 acres) were bought and extended by Henry VII in 1540, the whole complex said to have 5 kitchens, 6 stables and 8 dovecotes. (See Hasted, VIII, 317-321; Igglesden 13, 1919; Church Guide; B.O.E. Kent I, 127).

Listing NGR: TR0752036203

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 181595

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Martin Church Guide
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1797), 317-321
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1919)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 127

End of official listing