CLINTSFIELD COLLIERY ENGINE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1071611

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: CLINTSFIELD COLLIERY ENGINE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLINTSFIELD COLLIERY ENGINE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 01:44:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CLINTSFIELD COLLIERY ENGINE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Tatham

National Grid Reference: SD 62966 69774

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 66 NW TATHAM

2/75 Clintsfield Colliery Engine House - - II

Colliery pumping engine house, early C19th, later converted into house and now derelict. Sandstone rubble with remaining roof, over chimney, of stone slate. Comprises a main block about 25 feet tall, with a lower shed adjoining on the north side which has a capped chimney projecting from its western wall. The lower part of the east wall of the main block is of large rock-faced sandstone blocks. It has a tall doorway with stone lintel, the upper part blocked with rubble when the building was converted into a house. The upper part of the wall, below the apex, is of rubble and has a blocked beam engine opening with round head, now containing a smaller partly-blocked window. The south wall has 2 window openings with plain reveals. Under the apex of the west wall is a window with plain reveals. Inside, there are the remains of 2 floors and a 1st floor fireplace with plain stone surround. The shed on the north side appears to be of the same build. Part of its wall, at the north-east corner, has collapsed. The chimney is about 20 feet high, with rock-faced quoins and now terminates with a rock-faced coping below a pyramid roof. Probably the only remaining colliery engine house in Lancashire, it was marked as an engine house on the 1st edition 6 inch Ordnance Survey map (1847). In 1839 it had an engine of 5 h.p. with boiler and pump. Price, J.W.A., The industrial Archaeology of the Lune Valley, Lancaster, 1983, pp. 38-39.

Listing NGR: SD6296669774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182611

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Price, J , The Industrial Archaeology of the Lune Valley, (1983), 38-39

End of official listing