CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1071678

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, A683

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071678 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:43:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, A683

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Claughton

National Grid Reference: SD 56661 66560

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAUGHTON A683 (off) SD 56 NE

7/76 Church of St Chad 4-10-1967 GV

II

Church, 1815, heavily restored 1904, with remains of c.1300 and 1602. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Comprises an undivided nave and chancel under a continuous roof, and a north aisle, north porch and vestry added in 1904. On the north side there is a gabled vestry at the left with a chamfered doorway and shaped lintel. A chimney rises from the nave wall behind. The aisle has 3 2-light mullioned windows, the right-hand ones paired. In the angle with the vestry is a window of one light. On the south side are windows with pointed heads and Perpendicular tracery: 2 of 2 lights to the nave and one of 3 lights to the chancel. The nave and chancel are separated by a buttress. The west wall has a window of one trefoiled light to the aisle, and a buttress between aisle and nave wall. In the nave wall there is a carved panel with moulded border, which has the arms and initials of W. Croft and date '1602'. This was formerly in a mortuary chapel on the south side of the old church which belonged to the Croft family of Claughton Hall(q.v.) On top of the wall is a twin bellcote with an open segmental pediment. One of the bells is said to have an inscription dating it to 1296 (V.C.H.), making it the oldest dated bell in the country. The east window is probably of c.1300 and is of 3 lights with cusped intersecting tracery and a pointed head. Inside, the 3-bay arcade has round arches chamfered in 2 orders and round piers with moulded capitals. The boarded roof has boxed king-post trusses.

Listing NGR: SD5666166560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182371

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing