CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1071728

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071728 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 16:10:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Arkholme-with-Cawood

National Grid Reference: SD 58909 71825

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARKHOLME-WITH-CAWOOD SD 57 SE Church of St John the Baptist 4/3 (formerly listed as Parish Church) 4-10-1967 GV II*

Church, late Perpendicular, extensively restored in 1897 by Austin and Paley. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave with south aisle, a chancel under a continuous roof, a vestry, and a south porch. The west wall has a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery under a pointed head. To the right is a buttress with offsets. The west window of the aisle is of one trefoiled light. At the apex of the gable is an ashlar bellcote topped by a cyma-moulded open segmental pediment. This probably dates from the 1788 reconstruction, when the church was given round-headed windows with plain stone surrounds, removed by Austin and Paley. The north nave wall is of bays having cross windows with trefoiled upper lights. The south aisle wall has 4 2-light windows with flat heads and trefoiled lights, the 2 right-hand windows adjacent. The porch is buttressed and has a coping with kneelers and a moulded doorway with pointed head and hood. In the east wall of the aisle is a window of 2 hollow-chamfered round-headed lights. The east window is of 4 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The hood mould is re-used and has worn head stops. Both gables have copings with kneelers, the eastern one also with a finial. Interior has 4-bay arcade of round arches of 2 chamfered orders and octagonal piers with capitals. Some masons' marks are visible on the arches. The eastern capital has some rough carving, including a dog chasing a hare and a slung horn. The roof has queen-post trusses and wind-braced purlins. The eastern end of the church was rebuilt during the restoration and contains twin sedilia and a piscina.

Listing NGR: SD5890971825

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182297

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing