LEIGHTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1071836
Date first listed:
02-May-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
LEIGHTON HALL, COACH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEIGHTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1071836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:41:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEIGHTON HALL, COACH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Yealand Conyers
National Grid Reference:
SD 49442 74416

Details

SD47SE YEALAND CONYERS COACH ROAD

81/3/287 Leighton Hall 2.5.1968

GV II*

Country House, 1765, probably by J. Hird, with earlier remains. Gothic south-east front early C19th, possibly by Thomas Harrison. Tower at west end of the facade 1870 by Paley and Austin. Facade of limestone ashlar. Rear roughcast rubble with sandstone dressings. Slate roof. Central block of 2 storeys and 3 bays, battlemented with octagonal corner turrets. The central bay projects with a one-storey battlemented porch having clasping buttresses with ogee caps. The moulded doorway with 4 centred head is set within a wider chamfered 4-centred opening with tracery. Windows are chamfered with mullions and hood moulds, of 3 lights on the ground floor and 2 on the 1 st. The lights have 4-centred heads, except for the outer ones on the 1 st floor, and have sashes with glazing bars. Those to the porch have elaborate tracery in their heads. To the right is a single-storey 2-bay link with battlements and pinnacles. The 1 st bay has a window with tracery, the 2nd window being blank with painted tracery. The right-hand pavilion appears to be a chapel, with pinnacled buttresses, a window with panelled tracery, and a cross on the gable apex, but is in fact the stable. At the far right is a glass conservatory. At the left is a 2-storey link to the 3-storey battlemented tower by Paley and Austin, with a 4-storey turret in the angle. The tower has mullioned windows of various descriptions and a canted bay window to the south-east wall. To the rear of the tower is a 3-storey wing with added buttresses having sash windows with glazing bars in plain stone surrounds, except for one window in the west wall which has a rebated and chamfered surround. The east wall of this wing has some C17th dressings on the ground floor. 2 chamfered door surrounds with triangular heads under a drip mould and a chamfered window surround with drip mould. The rear wall of the main block has sash windows with glazing bars in plain stone surrounds, the stair window having a pointed head and traceried glazing bars. The east wall of the stable block has a central pedimented bay and stable doorways with semi-circular heads. INTERIOR: has an entrance hall with a screen of clustered columns with moulded 4-centred arches, and a cantilevered stone stair with swept handrail and stick balusters. Source Country life, 11th May 1951 pp 1452-1455 and 18th May 1951 pp 1538-1441.

Listing NGR: SD4944274416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182031
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 11 May, (1951), 1452-1455
'Country Life' in 18 May, (1951), 1538-1541

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16608/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].