Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CLIFTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072036.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:02:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Fylde (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 46983 30360


NEWTON WITH CLIFTON LODGE LANE SD 43 SE 10/58 Clifton Hall 2.6.76

- II

Large house, dated 1833 on entrance to rear courtyard, for Thomas Clifton of Lytham Hall, now Nursing Home. Red brick with sandstone dressings, green slate roofs with numerous tall octagonal sandstone chimneys. Roughly U-shaped plan within a rectangle: 4-bay south range to garden with receding wings, the west containing the entrance front, the east, which is longer, facing a formal garden. Two storeys, in Elizabethan style, with gables, stone corner turrets, corbelled pinnacles and finials, brick parapets with moulded stone copings, mullioned and transomed windows (some with hoodmoulds). Entrance front of ' west wing has inter-alia a set-back gabled centre with single-storey square porch displaying a coat of arms surmounted by Clifton crest of mailed arm wielding a dagger, to the left a short 3-bay projection with stepped facade, the centre of this gabled with a large window on each floor (the upper corbelled like an oriel); east wing has inter alia a matching projection in the corresponding position; south range, except far 4th bay (which is in effect a wing), is a symmetrical composition of 3 gabled bays, the centre wider and canted to full height, but now covered at ground floor by a large modern sun parlour. Rear wall enclosing service courtyard has a 4-centred arched entrance with keystone lettered "TC . Interior of less interest. 1833" History: erected on the site of the Old Hall, which had been partly destroyed by fire in 1745. Occupied in mid C19 by Edward Pedder, banker, of Preston.

Listing NGR: SD4698330360


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05586/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G M Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].