CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1072061

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072061 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:10:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Balderstone

National Grid Reference: SD 63141 32309

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BALDERSTONE SD 63 SW Church of St.Leonard 4/1 - GV II

Church, 1852-4 by Rampling of Preston (Pevsner), with tower added 1906. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Comprises a nave with lower chancel, tower at the west end of the north side of the nave, north organ chamber, and a lower gabled projection on the south side. The west window is of 3 lights with flowing tracery under a pointed head. Below it is a low semi-octagonal buttressed projection with parapet. This houses the font and has windows on 3 sides. The nave is of 3 bays on the north side and 4 on the south, all separated by buttresses. The windows are of 2 trefoiled lights under pointed heads with Geometric tracery. On each side there are 2 small timber dormers. The tower has diagonal buttresses and incorporates a porch in its lower stage. It has a stone spire set back behind a parapet, and bell openings of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with trefoil. The doorway has a moulded pointed arch. The east window is of 5 lights with Geometric tracery under a pointed head. Inside, the nave has a steeply-pitched open timber roof. The 3 trusses have curved braces to high collars which support king posts. They are tied at wallplate level by iron rods. To the left of the pointed chancel arch is a dressed sandstone opening resembling a window, the 2 trefoiled lights containing organ pipes. The windows contain some glass of later C19 date.

Listing NGR: SD6314132309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183486

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

End of official listing