This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BASHALL HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BASHALL HALL

List entry Number: 1072193

Location

BASHALL HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bashall Eaves

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183177

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 710 423 BASHALL EAVES

SD 74 SW

10/5 Bashall Hall 16.11.1954 GV II*

House, probably c.1600 with early C18th alterations, but with detailed development unclear. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises an east block of 3 storeys with attics with its main roof running east-west and with 2 gables on each side facing north and south. To the west is a central block, said to be reduced in height after a fire, of 2 storeys with the roof running north-south. The main roof of the adjoining west wing is parallel. This wing projects towards the south and is of 2 storeys, formerly with attic. The early windows have an outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer, and hoods. The main facade faces south. Under the right-hand gable of the east block the ground floor has a 12-light mullioned and transomed window with king mullion, now cut into by a later window. On the 1st floor is a 12-light mullioned and transomed window. On the 2nd floor are 2 similar windows of 6 lights each. Above is a blocked oculus. Under the left-hand gable on the ground floor is a 5-light mullioned window and a door with plain reveals. On both the 1st and 2nd floors are 3 sashed windows with glazing bars and stone surrounds with a shallow cyma moulding. Above both sets of windows is a deep plain stone band. Under the gable is a blocked Oculus matching the one to the right. The central block has mullioned windows on the ground floor. The 1st floor has sashed windows with glazing bars and architraves. Between them is a doorway reached by external stone steps. It has an architrave with bolection moulding and a broken segmental pediment on console brackets. Above is a cartouche. Below the gable is a plain stone band, with a blocked oculus above. The west wing has a 4-light mullioned window on the ground floor, a 14-light mullioned and transomed window on the Ist floor and a blocked attic window. Its right- hand return wall has a blocked chamfered doorway with Tudor-arched head. The north wall has a buttress with moulded offsets towards the left (east). Further right, on the 1st floor of the east block, is a doorway, now a window, with a surround chamfered in two orders with a Tudor-arched head. Further right, in the central block, is a large canted bay window, with a 3-light mullioned window on the ground floor, which is otherwise blank, and continuous glazing on the 1st floor, with 2 transoms. Interior. The eastern ground-floor room has ovolo-moulded main ceiling beams and 2 chamfered stone doorways with Tudor-arched heads. Further west, in line with the 1st floor doorway visible on the outside of the north wall, is a dog-leg stair with its 2nd flight of stone, and with the 1st floor landing partly carried on a moulded stone arch. The barley-sugar balusters and ramped handrails are probably a C18th addition. On the 1st floor the eastern room has panelling mostly of an early C17th type. The room adjoining to the west, on the south side, has panelling of an early C18th type, with raised panels and bolection mouldings. The central block has a room with 2 chamfered doorways with Tudor-arched heads and a moulded fireplace with Tudor arch, taken from elsewhere in the house. The west wing, presently being restored and open to the roof on the 1st floor, has trusses of a steep pitch with tall king posts rising off tie beams and with queen struts. Buck's drawing of c.1720, labelled 'The East Prospect of Bashall The Seat of William Ferrers Esq.,' shows the south front almost as it appears today. A low building to the right may be a demolished east wing, or the retainers' building (q.v.) behind the house. Samuel Buck's Yorkshire Sketchbook, Reproduced in Facsimile, Wakefield, 1979.

Listing NGR: SD7108042347

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hall, I, Samuel Bucks Yorkshire Sketch Book, (1979)

National Grid Reference: SD 71080 42347

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 06:31:15.

End of official listing