TALBOT HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072281
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
TALBOT HOTEL, TALBOT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TALBOT HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072281 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 13:14:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
TALBOT HOTEL, TALBOT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipping
National Grid Reference:
SD 62283 43328

Details

SD 64 SW CHIPPING TALBOT STREET

4/83 Talbot Hotel 13.2.67 GV II

Public house, 1779. Coursed watershot sandstone (the front wall rendered) with slate roof. 2 storeys with attic. Main front of 3 bays, the windows being sashed with no glazing bars in plain stone surrounds. Door has architrave, with a moulded plaque above now mutilated by the attachment of a sign, but said to be inscribed '1779' (old list). End stacks, with a further stack on the gable of a right-hand unit under a continuous roofline, now obscured by a wing which runs forward at right-angles to it. This wing has, in its left-hand return wall, a wide entrance with a plain stone surround having a segmental arch with a projecting keystone, with a 1st floor window with plain stone surround above. The front wall of the wing is blank. To its right, connecting it with No. 7, is a narrow unit with a wide entrance with plain stone surround on the ground floor. The left-hand gable of the main building has moulded kneelers but no coping. On the 1st floor is a re-used 2-light double-chamfered window with mullion removed. Outshut to part of the rear wall, which has sashed windows with glazing bars in plain stone surrounds, one surround having C17th fragments.



Listing NGR: SD6228343328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182970
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/02858/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].