CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1072297
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072297 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 23:03:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Longridge
National Grid Reference:
SD 60607 37396

Details

SD 63 NW LONGRIDGE CHURCH STREET

7/122 Church of St. Paul

II

Church, 1886-8 by Ewan Christian, with west tower of 1936-7 by A.C.M. Lillie. Coursed, squared rock-faced sandstone with sandstone ashlar interior and slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave with clearstorey, lower chancel, north and south aisles, north and south porches, north organ chamber and vestry. The tower has angle buttresses and an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Each face has 2 lancet bell openings of 2 chamfered orders. The west wall has a moulded doorway, a window of 3 lights with 2-centred head and cusped tracery above, with 3 narrow chamfered lancets below the bell openings. The aisle windows have 2-centred heads with panel tracery, the clearstorey windows having flat heads. Interior. The 5-bay nave has octagonal columns with pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders. The chancel arch is moulded, with ½ columns as responds. These are carried on corbels with carved leaf decoration. A tall west arch opens into the tower. The nave and aisles have an open timber roof, the nave having arch-braced collars and king posts braced to the principals and the ridge. The east window has stained glass said to be by Kempe and pre-1899 (Pevsner).



Listing NGR: SD6060737396

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183008
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/02858/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].