CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1072401

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072401 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 14:00:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 34827 39455

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 33 NW POULTON-LE-FYLDE CHURCH STREET

Church of St. Chad 3/2

23.9.50 II*

Church, mainly mid-C18. Stone, with slate roof. Substantially Georgian with early C17 tower, and apsidal chancel of 1868. Castellated west tower of coursed roughly- dressed stone, with diagonal buttresses at west corners, angled buttresses at east corners, 4 small corner pinnacles (1923), paired round-headed belfry louvres on all 4 sides, and clock-face with circular moulded surround beneath belfry on north and south sides. Wide nave of coursed dressed stone, with low-pitched roof, the ridge meeting the tower at its north-east corner. Large round-headed windows standing on string course, with plain architraves and Y-tracery, 4 on north side, 3 on south side. No porch, but 2 doorways on south side, with Tuscan columns, triglyphs and triangular pediments, that on the right (entry to Fleetwood family vault) has carved corbels carrying the pediment and is dated 1699; one doorway on north side with plain rectangular surround; a bullseye window over each door. Apse of 1868 in Romanesque style with 3 pairs of round-headed windows. Interior: essentially an auditorium, with 3-sided gallery (1751) on Tuscan columns, approached by fine staircase in north- west corner. South-west corner contains, as a screen, part of the family pew of the Rigbys of Layton Hall, the door having raised lettering "AR 1636" and a carved goat's head. Pulpit incorporates carved panels of probably early C17. Hatchments of Hesketh and Fleetwood families hang upon walls; and there are important wall monuments and tablets principally to members of the Hull and Hesketh families. (Porter, History of the Fylde, 1876, pp. 192-203).

Listing NGR: SD3482739455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184779

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Porter, J, History of the Fylde, (1876), 192-203

End of official listing