OLD HALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1072418

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: OLD HALL FARMHOUSE, OLD HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 08:41:26.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD HALL FARMHOUSE, OLD HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Blackburn with Darwen (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Pleasington

National Grid Reference: SD 64602 26967

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 62 NW PLEASINGTON OLD HALL LANE

SD 646 269

1/49 Old Hall Farmhouse (formerly listed as Pleasington Old Hall) 27-8-1952 - II*

Manor house, dated 1587, altered in C19, now farmhouse. Sandstone blocks and some old bricks, rendered at rear and right side, stone slate roof with one chimney on the ridge, another at the left end, and a large external chimney at the right end. H-plan: 2-storey hallpart flanked by 2-storey crosswings of unequal length. In left re-entrant is 2-storey lean-to porch which has a moulded Tudor-arched doorway, the lintel with panels carved and lettered in relief:-

R T ( ) H (carved) I ( ) S H 1 5 8 7

(the centre panel displays 3 battleaxes, and those flanking it have horned animal heads between the letters); there is a splayed peephole in the side wall, a studded inner door, and at 1st floor a 2-light window lacking the mullion. Right of the porch the wall of the hallpart is of dressed stone blocks, and has on each floor a recessed window of 6 large lights with chamfered mullions, square king mullion, and a hoodmould (probably C19), the upper flanked by small round-headed windows. Except for ground floor left, the wings have recessed stone mullioned windows: left, 6 lights at 1st floor, with a hoodmould, and 2 lights in the apex; right, at ground floor a transomed window of 14 lights with hollowed mullions, and above a 5-light window, (the wall above this is of old bricks); the re-entrant has a modern door, a blocked old opening at mid level, and a blocked 4-light window above. Otherwise, all windows are C19 alterations; and rear of right wing has recently been rebuilt. Interior mostly altered, but right wing has 2 chamfered beams supported by stone corbels, and a rectangular fireplace with a very large lintel; left wing has 2 cross-corner fireplaces, both modernised.

Listing NGR: SD6460226967

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184722

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing